cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Home Phone Ready Yet?

alkatraz
Dabbler

Is Home Phone Ready Yet?

I used to work at PlusNet and was there when Home Phone was rolled out. I have to say (as others might be forced to admit if faced with razorblades and vinegar) that at the time, the systems were not mature enough for me to consider using the home phone service. There were many problems, mostly relating to the lack of maturity of the systems and communication channels connecting PlusNet to BT (Retail/Wholesale/OpenReach).
The question I'd like answered is whether we yet think that the systems have reached that level of maturity such that it's worth taking on.
Let me give you a f'rinstance - when home phone started, moving home was an absolute nightmare including needing to set up a line with BT at new premises, working out that contract and THEN re-moving to PlusNet etc..
Has it changed? Is it ready for me? Will life be any more easy of difficult than being sat on BT IPStream Max on BT Retail phone?
Sell it to me...
24 REPLIES 24
Liam
Grafter

Re: Is Home Phone Ready Yet?

I signed up just as Home Phone was rolled out.  I was a customer then, and I've had no problems whatsoever.
Home Phone Faults are dealt with promptly and by an upskilled team and we've had no major issues with billing or call recording whatsoever.
As I wasn't here at the time, I can't comment on the 'immaturity' of the systems.  I'm sure that when major new projects such as that roll out, there is always a degree of 'learning' to be done in the first few months - but I have to say it's been one of the biggest PlusNet successes and prior to coming to work here, I had many of my referrals signed up to it.
We can't do new installations right now, simply because it's not something we offer - yet.  But we can do house moves where a BT line already exists (which is the case for the majority).  These are simple and we can move home phone with as little as three days notice.  This is all integrated into the house move tool in the Portal.
alkatraz
Dabbler

Ok.. sounds promising - any other opinions?
Also - any likelihood of ever doing new installs (although I appreciate in most cases it's not required)?
Liam
Grafter

Nothing firmed up yet, though we do have a Home Phone Improvements project due to kick off soon.  This mainly cleans things up Portal-wise, such as the ability to download your itemised bills etc...  and making the interface a bit more intuitive.
I'll certainly ask the question when that comes to the top of the workstack.
alkatraz
Dabbler

Quote from: Liam
The ability to download your itemised bills etc...

That project in itself may be enough to tip the balance for me.
Quote from: Liam
I'll certainly ask the question when that comes to the top of the workstack.

Cheers.
James
Grafter

My understanding (although I may be wrong) is the fact that we have to pay an installation fee on new provides.  I can't see many people being willing to pay £100 up front when they can get it through BT free of charge.
I'll try and get some clarification from the expert though.
mrose
Grafter

Allow me to address all the questions in this little thread so far. It’s a bit long but there is enough subject to get through.
Starting at the top:
System maturity - absolutely incorrect.  Since the launch of Home Phone our systems have been more than capable.  The ordering side of things (i.e. transferring the line over and adding/removing features) was, and still is very automated.  Customers receive email updates throughout the ordering process.  There are 3 / 4 emails sent through the entire journey of transferring your land line to PlusNet Home Phone.
There is another element to the system also - call records.  These come from our call network operator.  We receive call records every 4 hours, these call records are then updated as being confirmed the next day.  In some circumstances a small number of calls are not confirmed next day but this is the minority. As Liam mentioned there has been no issues with our billing engine.
The house move f'rinstance
Moving home has never been a nightmare - you do not need to setup a new line with BT or any other provider.  If you're on PlusNet Home Phone we would move it for you, then we would move your broadband.  As we would own the phone line and the broadband then we can even entertain the simultaneous provide a lot easier than a customer having to get a SIM provide reference from a different phone provider.
If you're with PlusNet Home Phone then why would you contact another supplier to activate a line at your new premises?  That makes no sense!  That is actually causing more pain for yourself and your existing phone provider prior to moving.
How long to move it ?
Liam mentioned 3 days, which is the minimum amount of time Openreach can move a line from one address to another - however, due to the bust shcedules of Openreach they generally cannot move a line in 3 working days, it's more like 7 - 10 working days.  All line providers are affected by this problem.
Is it ready for you?
Yes, it’s ready for you if you think any of the products we offer are right for you.  Do you make most call in the Evening & Weekends (Home Phone Evening & Weekends) or do you require the flexibility of being able to make free calls during anytime of the day (Home Phone Anytime +)? Both are competitively priced.
BT IP Stream MAX on BT Retail phone?
It’s all the same phone network – the physical phone line with PlusNet is no different to any other residential BT Retail line.  Obviously there are product differences between all providers in terms of how they are prices and what features (caller display etc) are available.
New Provisions
The main reason why we do not do new provisions for completely new customers to PlusNet is because we are not primarily a phone line provider, we are primarily a broadband company and thus we offer the PlusNet Home Phone service to existing broadband customers.  As Liam or James may have mentioned they also cost £105, this is not a cost we could absorb on behalf of any customer unfortunately.  BT Retail do not always absorb this cost.
Downloading Itemised Billing Information
This is a request from many customers we have taken on board – it will happen as Liam mentioned.
Hope that clears things up.
Cheers,
Mike
alkatraz
Dabbler

System maturity - absolutely incorrect.
Pff.
The house move f'rinstance
Was never originally made clear.. perhaps suggesting that the training at the time was far too rushed (and it was - no further detail necessary on public forum). Has since been made clear that it was only necessary where a line did not exist, not where a contract did not exist.
Is it ready for you?
Yes, it’s ready for you if you think any of the products we offer are right for you.

Packages were not ever my concern - they are actually the drawing point - twas the other issues surrounding tech details and prov/faults etc
BT IP Stream MAX on BT Retail phone?
It’s all the same phone network – the physical phone line with PlusNet is no different to any other residential BT Retail line.

I really don't know any other way to say this, so I apologise for the tone:
Well, Duh!?!

New Provisions
Understood
This is a request from many customers we have taken on board – it will happen as Liam mentioned.

Good to know.
Hope that clears things up.
Cheers,
Mike

Appreciated.
James
Grafter

It’s all the same phone network – the physical phone line with PlusNet is no different to any other residential BT Retail line.

The point here is that the Broadband product has no bearing on whether or not you can receive a PlusNet Home Phone Service.
Was never originally made clear.. perhaps suggesting that the training at the time was far too rushed (and it was - no further detail necessary on public forum). Has since been made clear that it was only necessary where a line did not exist, not where a contract did not exist.

I don't see the relevance in arguing whether or not you feel that the training was adequate / you retained the information from the training, 12 months since you left the company.
Mike knows more about WLR than anyone else in this company and is probably one of the most knowledgeable people in the country regarding the product (that doesn't work for BT).
I'm hopeful we can let this lie from now on and you can make an educated decision as to whether or not you would consider taking up the service.
itsme
Grafter

I thought that BT had a minimum 3 month contract which was causing problems on house moves.
paulby
Grafter

I don't know if it's applicable here but they now insist on a 12 month contract.
I've moved my service away from TalkTalk (yes I know!) and had planned to move to PlusTalk however, since my line had been unbundled for voice and ADSL I had to get a BT line reinstated and am now in a 1 year contract with a £70 cessation fee if I leave before the end of the year.
James
Grafter

Yep.  BT have been rather clever in extending their minimum contract terms.
itsme
Grafter

Except for 50 quid what's the difference between BT cessation charge and PN £20 cessation charge?
BT cessation charge only last a year while PN charge I believe is indefinitely.
James
Grafter

Would that be the cancellation charge that we're removing in the next month or so? Smiley
No timescales available yet, but we will be removing it.
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: mrose

Are we any closer to seeing this yet.
Regards .....