cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International

Diamond
Grafter

International

The question of spam calls from international numbers has been asked more than once, but the answers I have read and youtube video links do not really offer a solution.
We can all waste time giving smart answers to these callers, I'm just as guilty by answering a call marked INTERNATIONAL in a fake Indian accent with "Thank you for calling Taj Mahal Curry House, may I take your booking"  but I still have to put up with the phone ringing and the effort of getting up to read the caller display.
I could buy the truecall machine, but why should I have to spend £100 to block unwanted calls?
Fortunately there is nobody calling me from overseas that I would want to speak to, one of the reasons for joining PN was their UK location (although they fell off the path for a while) so a total block on any call identified on my caller display as INTERNATIONAL would be most welcome.
Any hope of such a block  Plusnet?
jim:orange all caps in title changed as per forum rules mod:end

15 REPLIES 15
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: International

You could raise a support ticket and ask to be considered for a free trial of 'Choose to Refuse'. This service allows you to dial a predetermined number after receiving a nuisance call that then blocks further attempts from that origin at the exchange. I've no personal experience of it, but I'm told it doesn't work for all nuisance calls. No harm in giving it a try though?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Diamond
Grafter

BT's "choose to refuse" cannot  block a number if it is recognised only as INTERNATIONAL, and if it did, since these are from various sources, I would spend as much time blocking each individual number as I do answering them.
I'm looking for a blanket ban on international incoming calls, failing that, withdrawal of the phone service altogether. those that I wish to hear from use the cellphone rather than the landline. Surely if I can block calls to international numbers, the same should work in reverse?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Diamond,
unfortunately there's no way to block these numbers otherwise. I used to have a caller display unit that would flash up as international, I don't know whether that would be any use?
Jojo Smiley
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I let my answering machine take those calls and the 'unknown' or 'withheld' ones.
A quick glance at the display and I carry on doing whatever it was I was doing maybe with an ear open in case it is a call I wish to answer. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Diamond
Grafter

As I said at the start of the post, there's plenty of      "what I do is....." on the forums, but the answer I'm looking for is how to stop the from calling my phone in the first place!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

When you find out please let me know  Angry
Diamond
Grafter

The Bar Stewards are getting crafty now, instead of INTERNATIONAL flashing up on my caller display (I already have it Joanne, otherwise how would I know it says International), it's now showing UNAVAILABLE.
Still, when they ask "am I speaking to der mann of der housse pleeze?" I reply...."you are through to the sales team, how can I be of assistance today" They are most apologetic.
Just a thought.........Can I get a block ALL incoming calls on the landline ? anyone who wants me rings the mobile anyway.

btw...Notify me of replies is not working for me, I've ticked it but never yet had a notification!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Since you haven't selected "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" in your profile you would need to manually select it for each thread you want
Diamond
Grafter

Turned it on Jim, have to see if it works now.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

does it?
Diamond
Grafter

Yes Jim...cept it went straight to the spam bin  Cheesy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Diamond,
Can I get a block ALL incoming calls on the landline ?

Easiest way would be to unplug the phone.
Jojo Smiley
Diamond
Grafter

Hmm that's worth thinking about ...........on reflection, I may just switch the base station off at the mains, my monthly bill to PN would certainly drop by over two thirds as I'd  be using internet only, and no calls................................ now that's an even better idea,
thanks Jojo  Kiss
Javert
Grafter

My phone has the ‘answer phone’ permanently switched on, allowing me to screen calls. I find that any of these calls - originating from UK or abroad, always cancel their call once the machine switches in. They never leave a message.