cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Freephone(UIFN) - 00800 numbers ( revisited?)

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

International Freephone(UIFN) - 00800 numbers ( revisited?)

In light of my recent experience with another CP regarding charges for these numbers, and another current thread on here about incorrect call charges(which we won't mention!), I thought I'd revisit this topic since it wasn't exactly answered with any great conviction last time https://community.plus.net/t5/Phone/International-Freephone-numbers-do-they-cost-me/m-p/937043.

These numbers are Universal International Freephone numbers, use the prefix 00800, and are meant to be free worldwide. I had cause to call one of these recently (the IT service desk of one of our large customers) via one of our office CP lines and was charged for the call and it's currently being investigated why?

So I thought I'd check the PN tariff guide for these numbers and guess what, it's not listed!. A search of the forum produced the link above when the question was asked back in 2012, with no really clear answer.

So would one of the PN help team care to give a definitive answer as to the call charges for these numbers ?

NB I'm going to ask a similar question on the mobile forum just for good measure...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

5 REPLIES 5
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: International Freephone(UIFN) - 00800 numbers ( revisited?)

@MisterW wrote:

I thought I'd revisit this topic since it wasn't exactly answered with any great conviction last time https://community.plus.net/t5/Phone/International-Freephone-numbers-do-they-cost-me/m-p/937043.

A search of the forum produced the link above when the question was asked back in 2012, with no really clear answer.

I'd say it was the first time in 2011:

Mand wrote:
We don't get charged for these calls, so neither will you. They won't appear on your bill either though.

I'm not aware of any changes to this, but I've asked the question with the relevant people and will get back to you with further confirmation once received.

@MisterW wrote:
I had cause to call one of these recently (the IT service desk of one of our large customers) via one of our office CP lines and was charged for the call and it's currently being investigated why?

If this was a Plusnet line, could you PM the account username please.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

As useless as ever, Ofcom makes no pronouncements on charges related to 00800 numbers.

This site - http://www.area-codes.org.uk/00800-numbers.php - states...

Calls to 00800 numbers are free from most major landline companies. However, mobile phone companies apply a range of different call rates and sometimes charge their full international calling rate.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If this was a Plusnet line, could you PM the account username please.

@HarryB, no, it's ok, you're fine, it wasn't a PlusNet lineSmiley.It was one of office voip providers. It just started me on a crusade to discover what the various CP's charged as it seems to be a lottery!. You're in good company, though, our office landline provider(Zen) is also still in a huddle trying to answer my question.

They won't appear on your bill either though

For info, I've just tried via our other voip provider (A&A) and it does appear on the call record but at zero cost.

Do normal 0800 (UK freephone) calls not appear on a PN call record then ?

@Townman I did think about OFCOM (for a brief moment!) and then decided I'd just be wasting my time...

edit: I can now report that Zen have completed their huddle and confirmed there is No charge for these numbers from their landlinesSmiley

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Fix

Apologies for the delayed response, I wanted to wait for a conclusive answer on this before getting back to you.

I've been advised that these [00800] numbers do behave like 0800 numbers and do not appear in itemised billing and are not chargeable.

I hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for the response @HarryB . I've no problem with the delay. I'd much rather get the conclusive answer eventually, rather than an unconsidered answer quickly.Smiley

Whilst you're here, could I trouble you to go and give your colleagues on the Mobile forum a prod (Knuppel ) and get them to give a sensible response to my thread there on the same subject https://community.plus.net/t5/Mobile/International-Freephone-UIFN-00800-numbers-call-charges/m-p/146...