Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent noisy line has returned

FIXED
Sheddyian
Grafter

Intermittent noisy line has returned

Hello,

I've posted here before (a month or two back) about a noisy line, and logged a support call several times as well regarding my noisy line.

The fault is intermittent, and can vary in severity.  Mostly it is crackling, but sometimes there are pops and squeaks as well.  The person I'm calling often hears hissing and distortion.

When these problems occurr, the line is also quieter than usual, to the point where I sometimes can't hear what's being said.

I usually use a cordless phone plugged into a filtered NTE5e but I've also tried a wired handset into the test socket - I get crackles and noise regardless of which phone I use.  There is no other phone wiring in the house, just the one socket.

An online phone line test from the Plusnet site gives me an error.

Could this be looked at please?  I now have a recording on my mobile of the line noise, so I can prove what it sounds like to an Openreach engineer!

Thanks

Ian

9 REPLIES 9
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Intermittent noisy line has returned

Hi Ian.

I'm sorry to hear you're hearing a lot of noise on your phone line.

I've tested your line today and we're not finding the cause of that.

I've created a support ticket which you can reply to by logging on to your account then clicking here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=185575248

If you can let us know once you've updated it with your availability for an engineer to visit we'll be happy to pick it up and book the appointment in as soon as we can for you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sheddyian
Grafter

Hi, thanks for the response.

I've updated the ticket with my availability.

The noise was present again today, with squeaks and clicks as well as crackling.

Thanks

Ian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Thanks @Sheddyian,

I'm getting that booked in now and I'll send confirmation of the appointment via your account shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Sheddyian
Grafter

Thanks, I received a text confirmation, and I shall be here at that time.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

No problem, let us know how you get on following the appointment.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Sheddyian
Grafter

Openreach engineer day!

First thing this morning, I picked up the handset, and line was humming and crackling.  Good!

Engineer arrives maybe an hour later, line is now silent!

He tested the line, and his tester did show a fault - a bad connection.  He took the socket off the wall, tested the bare wires, and this was fine. So he replaced the socket.  Re-tested it, it passed tests.

I was happy, and the line has been fine all day.  (I keep checking it!)

HOWEVER

This evening, part way through an incoming call, the line started buzzing loudly and the crackles came back.

Still doing it on another call just now.  And if I pick the phone up, I can hear crackles under the dial tone, so the fault is on my line, not the other caller's.

So unfortunately, the fault is still present with the same symptoms - intermittent crackling, hums buzzes and squeaks.

Given that Christmas and New year are almost upon us, could another engineer visit be arranged for early in the new year?

Thanks

Ian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Sorry to hear the issues are back Ian.

Yeah sure we should be able to arrange another visit for the new year.

Could you update your ticket 185575248 with some dates/timeslots you'd be available?

Feel free to nudge us over here once you've done that and we'll be happy to pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Sheddyian
Grafter

Engineer visited on 3rd Jan (I received notification of this on Xmas day Cheesy ) and, typically, the line was beautifully quiet that day.  However, he listened to my recording of the crackles, and decided that if that amount of noise wasn't impacting my broadband (it wasn't) then the fault was between the exchange and the cabinet.  He swapped me to a different wire pair, and all has been fine since.

I've left it a few days as the fault was previously intermittent, but I think this call can now be closed as it's been fine since the swap.

Many thanks

Ian

AishaK
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 12

Hi there,

I'm pleased to hear that your issue has now been resolved.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance in the future.

Thank you,

Aisha