Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent HR fault - how to get fixed

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Intermittent HR fault - how to get fixed

I am hoping someone senior in PlusNet can advise on this.

I have had an intermittent E side HR fault on my line for a number of years.

The problem I've got is when I report the fault to PlusNet they do a line test (which always passes LTOK).  This blasts a load of current down the line, welds the joint back together and the fault goes away for a few weeks.

I've had an engineer out twice in the last couple of years and they haven't been able to find the fault, and there aren't any spare pairs to move me onto.  Now I also notice that PlusNet has included the clause that a charge may be levied if "This cost also applies if you miss the appointment, cancel with less than 48 working hours' notice or the engineer finds there is no fault"

So we go around and around in circles.  I really want the fault fixed but need it be there when the engineer visits so a) he stands a chance of finding the duff joint and b) I don't get charged for no fault found.

Is it me or does this whole process not accommodate these type of faults ?

3 REPLIES 3
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Intermittent HR fault - how to get fixed

Probably not what you want to hear, but I don`t think any ISP could give you a definite answer, the fault you have is very hard to locate, and the usual solution is to put you on a new E/side, however as there are no spare pairs in the cable it looks like the cable is on it`s way out (hence no spares),open-reach will be aware of this and will eventually renew the cable, but your guess is as good as mine, Have you considered going onto fibre if possible?  

Cheers 

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

I am actually on FTTC and luckily the broadband is rock steady - 73 Mbps - I used to be on ADSL2+ and it was dropping out all the time due to the fault - moving to FTTC resolved that as I bypassed the dodgy E side.

Our mobile reception is rubbish as it's a rural area, otherwise I would just unplug the phone and use our mobiles.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there. Sorry to hear about your intermittent fault.

If a line test resolves the issue for a few weeks, and as we have to run the test as a requirement to book an engineer, we could try arranging the appointment for the future to allow some time for the issue to resurface.

As for charging for no fault founds, this would essentially be looked into on a case by case basis as intermittent faults are tricky to fix.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button