cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of calls over internet

Bourneagain

Installation of calls over internet

My installation is fibre to the cabinet with my telephone connected via copper wire using the old protocol.

I have been advised by Openreach that our road is now on the installation list for full fibre which will mean changing our telephone to calls over the internet.

At the point where the copper wire enters the house there is no mains plug.  At that point the telephone wire is split into two lines.  One travels upstairs where it is split into two lines, one socket is used for my router and the other for a telephone.  The second line is used downstairs where is again splits into two lines one for the telephone and one currently unused.

As I understand it I will need to have a power socket close to the point where the new fibre line enters the house and that my telephone will need to be plugged into the router.  How will this work where I have multiple telephones installed and the current positon of my router is in the room where I use the computer and there is no telephone?

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 425

Re: Installation of calls over internet

@Bourneagain wrote:

I have been advised by Openreach that our road is now on the installation list for full fibre which will mean changing our telephone to calls over the internet.

Because Full Fibre is available does not mean that you have to have it installed in your home. Plusnet will not simply change you over automatically, your existing service will just continue as it is. I don't know whether BT would force the change on you if you were a BT Retail customer rather than Plusnet.

Also if you choose to move to Full Fibre the option that you describe is not available from Plusnet, you will lose your landline phone.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 56

@Bourneagain 

There are a couple of separate points here. As stated, Full Fibre will only be installed if you ask for it. However, you need to be aware the PN do not offer a VOIP phone service with FTTP. At present, though this should be changing, you can't even port your number out to a VOIP provider if you go with PN. The net result is you might lose your phone number (if this matters).

The second point is OpenReach are planning on switching off PSTN by the end of 2025 so at some point you'll need to go with VOIP. I have no real knowledge of the way VOIP works but I seem to recall phone extensions may not work. You need to use DECT phones (or anything similar). Doing some research might be a good idea.

As to FF, there is some leeway on where the fibre enters your property and where the ONT goes. You can only find out on the day of install when talking to the engineer. It's the art of the desirable against the possible. The router is connected via Ethernet cable so can go where ever you're happy to run said cable.

Brian

Bourneagain

Thanks for your comments.

On the subject of PN not offering calls over the internet this is puzzling as PN is owned by BT which is pushing for this system to be installed quickly.  I know that I do not have to have full fibre installed if I do not want it but currently my broadband speed is intermittant.  Whilst I do not have specific proof despite being on a high speed contract I often find that when attempting to watch catch up TV I get long periods of buffering.  Therefore full fibre would hopefully get rid of this even if I do not got to full fibre speed.

On the question of researching on the actual installation process connecting my telephone to the browser so far I have been unable to discover any information as to how to connect an existing home telephone cabling network to a router so that all of the current telephone extension work.  All the current information will say is that you plug your telephone into the router not how to have exentions in different rooms.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 433

On the question of researching on the actual installation process connecting my telephone to the browser so far I have been unable to discover any information as to how to connect an existing home telephone cabling network to a router so that all of the current telephone extension work.  All the current information will say is that you plug your telephone into the router not how to have exentions in different rooms.

There are 5 methods by which voip connections (calls over the internet) can be made :-

1) a dedicated voip telephone which connects to a router using an ethernet connection

2) a voip DECT base unit which connects to a router using an ethernet connection and supports multiple DECT handsets

3) an Analog telephone adapter (ATA) which connects to a router using an ethernet connection and to which a conventional telephone is connected

4) a router with an analog telephone port to which a conventional telephone is connected

5) a voip application on a pc or smartphone

In theory options 3 & 4 could be connected to an existing telephone cabling network (once the incoming line is disconnected at the master socket) allowing use of phones at extensions BUT it would depend on the ATA or router REN (ringer equivalent number) capability and some 'clever' wiring.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@Bourneagain 

PN presumably took a commercial decision not to offer VOIP - it costs money to run. They are the basic "value" brand of the BT group. Note you also lose your PN email if you move.

@MisterW has answered the VOIP query far better than I could. Note that although the PN Hub2 has a VOIP port it is not connected so cannot be used.

With FF there are different speed levels. You should be able to get a 38/10 or 78/20 offering. With FF you should always get near the advertised product speed.

Finally if you're interested keep an eye on the following checker. When FF is available to your address it'll show as WBC FTTP in the left hand column and "Available" to the right.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

bmc
Hero

@Bourneagain 

A bit more information. You didn't say if your phone number is important to you. At the moment your phone number will  / possibly be lost if you go for PN FTTP. Things should change in April when OFCOM introduce a "Right to Port" for phone numbers. How PN plan to implement this is not yet known.

If you plan to go to an independant VOIP provider the A & A seem to be a reasonably priced provider depending on your usage. https://www.aa.net.uk/voice-and-mobile/voip-information/

Finally you can check on the OpenReach website thet they're not telling your porkies abour FTTP being installed for your street. https://www.openreach.com/

Brian