Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increase in Nuisance Calls

dg06
Grafter

Increase in Nuisance Calls

Hello all
Over the past few months we have been receiving an increase in the number of nuisance calls that we receive.
These aren't your normal sales/marketing calls you get from a human but are pre-recorded messages about government grants for gas boilers, solar panels etc also PPI refunds.
The calls show on caller display as either 'Unavailable' or 'International' so there is no number to report or block.
We are already registered with the TPS but that clearly doesn't stop this type of call.
Is there anyway to stop these calls? (One call did say to press 9 to be removed but I'm not convinced that would be a good idea. Might lead to even more calls)
Can Plusnet do anything?
TIA
25 REPLIES 25
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Increase in Nuisance Calls

I don't know what Plusnet can do but I've changed the anonymous call setting on my phone from 'Silent Call' to 'Block Call'.
If anyone needs to contact me and withholds their number they'll have to either unblock their number and  try again or find another way.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
sjptd
Grafter

I've also seen a huge increase in the number of such calls.  My phone is still on BT but will transfer to Plusnet in a few days; I don't expect that to have any effect on such calls one way or the other.
@Strat:  I assume the anonymous call setting requires Caller Display?  Is that correct?
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Going ex-directory dramatically reduced the number of such calls I receive. Possibly one a week now, if that.
Fifer
Grafter

One way to stop up to 100% of these calls is with a cordless phone with a call blocker.
I have a BT 8500 with advanced call blocker and it can block all these calls, International, Withheld, Out of Area and any other calls you want to block as well. It costs approx 50£ but for me it is well worth the money.  The only calls that come through are numbers in the contacts in the phone, any other callers you can either answer, block or hang up after they have given their name before you allow the call to come through.
Ron
peter10
Grafter

I'm also getting a lot of nuisance calls. I realise that there is nothing plusnet can do. Normally I refuse to answer international or withheld numbers and let them go to the answering machine but unfortunately some people such as my Doctors withhold their number so when expecting a call from them I have to answer withheld numbers. The last one was from "Yorkshire Council" saying I was due a council tax rebate. No doubt he would have wanted some personal details if I hadn't hung up.
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: sjptd
@Strat:  I assume the anonymous call setting requires Caller Display?  Is that correct?

It is correct.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: daveplus
Going ex-directory dramatically reduced the number of such calls I receive...

I've just recently applied to go ex-directory (I thought I was) having recently received a phone book with my details in.
Personally I don't expect it to have any effect on cold call numbers as my details will be on numerous databases worldwide and easily accessible by the phone spammers.
I'm registered on the various Preference Service databases but they have no effect outside the UK......or with some companies, within the UK Angry
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

The problem for me was always that I couldn't differentiate the anonymous calls.
As Salmo rightfully points out; occasionally I'll get a call from someone really important who withholds their number. Otherwise I'd use "Anonymous Call Reject" as a feature.
From a Plusnet perspective, this is the best feature we can really offer to counteract the calls. Unless, of course, you want to go nuclear and renumber your line.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
dg06
Grafter

So far I've had 3 of these calls today.  Angry
Not a lot can be done then unless I spend money on a special phone to block these calls.  Sad

Quote from: MattyC
The problem for me was always that I couldn't differentiate the anonymous calls.
As Salmo rightfully points out; occasionally I'll get a call from someone really important who withholds their number. Otherwise I'd use "Anonymous Call Reject" as a feature.
From a Plusnet perspective, this is the best feature we can really offer to counteract the calls. Unless, of course, you want to go nuclear and renumber your line.

As you said "Anonymous Call Reject" would also block legitimate and it costs £4 per month from Plusnet!!!
I really don't want to have to change my number either.
Edit
One other thing, these calls have increased since I moved to Plusnet from BT, how much of a coincidence this I don't know.
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear of the calls.
We didn't really change too much as your line was just a direct transfer, were you previously ex-Directory?
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
dg06
Grafter

We weren't ex-directory before, it's must likely a coincidence as I said.
dick:quote
Razorback
Grafter

In my experience quite often these calls come in waves, you have loads one week then only a few the next. FWIW I think since moving to Plusnet the volume has gone done a little but time will tell.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

As per Razorback - I've had none at all this week - but some days I have 4 or 5 between 9am and 5pm - I now don't answer the phone at all in the weekday UNLESS 1. I'm expecting a callback or 2. it rings immediately after a call as this is the method I've arranged with my wife and kids if they ring the house. I also have an ansaphone on the line.
NOT answering these calls does seem to have improved the situation and reduced the frequency -touch wood!
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

I never answer a number I don't recognise -if it's important they should leave a message. Nor do I answer International/Out of-area calls - I don't know anyone overseas.
Unfortunately, as I am a 'nominated person' for dealing with my mums bills/care etc. since her stroke, I have to answer 'witheld' calls, but just say 'hello, who's calling?' If that gets no answer, or some muppet tries a sales pitch, they are then told they are calling a ficticous company. That seems to hve stopped around 95% of my unwanted calls.
John