Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Incoming calls

All outgoing and incoming calls are fine except the Local Hospital who for some reason say they are unable to get through to us on our landline.
The number is for Lancashire Teaching Hospitals and is showing as 522310.
I Have not raised a ticket about this as it could well be a problem at their end but equally I did wonder if certain numbers are being automatically blocked.
Advice please.
NB: We can get through to them OK.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
18 REPLIES 18
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Incoming calls

Hi - we don't block anything and couldn't if we wanted to! Have you had a look through this thread? http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,120875.0.html
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Ben,
Thanks for the link, some useful information there.
Not sure how I will deal with that as it's a hospital and it's unlikely anyone on their switchboard will have sufficient information about it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Glenegales,
First thing to do is to confirm that you (the hospital) is getting the same failure as that discussed in the other thread.

@Ben,
Whilst (for information) it is useful to refer the OP to the other thread (which we have both contributed to) it does not really move them closer to a resolution, as there is no indication there of how the problem might be progressed.  PN own these numbers.  If it is not a problem which PN can resolve who can?  Not resolving this issue is not acceptable - I recognise it might not be easy - but if it were my line, doing nothing would not be an option.
It was your suggestion that there might be issues with historical ownership of the other poster's number - how can that be confirmed / eliminated as a cause?  Who can do that?  Who is going to do it?  Edit:  Off the wall thought - is it likely that the CALLER's CP could investigate / manage the fault?  Before answering, what if I tried to call a number and got the same failure - if I reported it to PN, then would PN be capable of dealing with the problem?
Given that there have been two (apparently similar) reports within a week (and the fact that you have a suggested cause) leads me to believe that this is an industry issue which new PN users might see again in the future.  That being the case, I respectfully suggest that PN need a strategy for managing and resolving this issue on behalf of their customers.  Such a strategy might simply be to report the issue to some pan-industry governing body for their management and resolution (e.g. Ofcom) but doing nothing is not an option.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If dialling the number from a BT line works, how is this a Plusnet problem? The onus is on the person trying to place the call to complain to their service provider.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

I'm with Jelv on this one.
I think the hospital need to see if they are having problems.  One (or two even) company not being able to phone one particular number that is owned by us isn't something we would be able to investigate.
picbits
Rising Star

This may sound glaringly obvious but have you double checked they are dialling the right number ?
It may also be worth them trying the area code in front of your number even if it is the same town as you.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@pcbits / @jelv / @James,
Ben suggested on the other thread (No End Destination), to which he directed this OP, that such problems could arise where a number has been ported from one network to another and that network provider as not correctly identified that the number is now external to their network.
In the other post, the individual was phoning his own number from work, so I guess he managed to dial it correctly (repeatedly).  He had another caller get the same problem when dialling his number.  He clearly identified that his work uses voip for out going calls.  For this OP we do not know the precise failure state, but BEN cross referred the issues.  One might reasonably presume that an establishment such as a hospital use VOIP thus these might be the same issue, making the cross-reference more tan reasonable.
If we may assume people are not dialling the wrong number (if you expect users to dial the area code, even for local numbers, then there is a fault to be addressed) and we go back to Ben's theory - historical network ownership of a number not tidily exported.  I (reasonably) assume Ben knows what he is talking about (and in no way do I want to suggest or imply he does not) so I then ask 'How is such a historically balls-up export going to be fixed?".  How is the current user going to determine the line's history?  They might not have had an association with the line when it was migrated (ported) between providers and so have no personal knowledge of its history.
Even if they could determine such a history, how would they, who have no current relationship with that organisation get the problem resolved?  If I were either of these OPs, I'd be thinking along the following lines...
1. Ben, thank you for the suggestion of the cause, it sounds most logical
2. How might I determine the port / migration history of the line to see if your theory fits my line's history (no porting = no fit therefore the problem ad solution is somewhere else)
3. If the line has been ported, how can the theory be tested?
4. If the theory is proven with one of the historic network owners, how can the routing error be corrected?
Is that reasonable, or do you consider Ben's theory to be not probable, in which case, these OPs looking for resolutions to a real problem need some alternative assistance.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Kevin, just to pick up on one point that you raise, which I know a little about.  With the area code being needed, many (most/all?) VOIP systems would require the full area code and phone number to dial a number, even if they both have numbers in the same area code.  Also some exchanges (sorry I forget exactly which ones) require the area code to be used for local numbers.  That isn't a fault.  It's by design.
I would also say that we currently don't have enough information to lump both this issue and the Lync one together, and not look at other possibilities.  Making that assumption with such limited detail will often amount to delays and possible fixes being missed on both issues.  That isn't to say that it isn't related issues and we can't look to see if they are the same/similar situations, just not to rule out everything else.
Phil

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: pjmarsh
Also some exchanges (sorry I forget exactly which ones) require the area code to be used for local numbers.

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2012/05/31/dial-the-01202-area-code-from-1-november-bournemouth-poole-and-...
There may be others.
Edit: And more are coming: http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/dial-the-code/
In time I think it will be mandatory for all area codes.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Thanks Jelv.  I knew I'd read it somewhere.
Phil

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@Townman
Unfortunately I don't have any specific ideas or areas of investigation that I can go down, I'm just trying to help the OP. If i was forced to provide an answer, I'd advise contacting faults but as per the other thread, I'm not sure how beneficial this would be.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Further update on this issue.
Phoned the Hospital switchboard and spoke with the switchboard supervisor, she phoned me back to say she was getting a call blocked message when trying to contact me BUT by phoning me on the BT Line she was able to get through to me.
I Have registered our number with the TPS to block any anonymous calls so this may be one cause. An e-mail has been sent to TPS just to check this out but if this is the case and if they have the ability to allow a single number to have access is another matter, pity there is no way a Home phone can have a white/blacklist like a computer.
Will post further if any relevant information is forthcoming.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I didn't think TPS actually blocked calls, just flagged the number on a database to let companies know they shouldn't call.
James
Grafter

I wonder if this has anything to do with the choose to refuse service you used to have.