cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming SMS messages delivered as voicetext?

m063
Grafter

Incoming SMS messages delivered as voicetext?

All incoming SMS messages to my home phone are being delivered as voicetext (i.e. as a text to speech message on 1571).
What do I need to do to keep them as text messages?
The instruction book for my phone (BT Relate 2100) says the SMS service is provided by BT, and that the first SMS message you send registers for the service.
I've done that, and received an SMS welcome message.
But subsequent incoming SMS are delivered as voicetext.
Any ideas?
Martin
19 REPLIES 19
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Incoming SMS messages delivered as voicetext?

I've checked what I can so far and I can't see that there's any service based restrictions or anything we'd need to change before this would work for you. AFAIK as long as your handset is compatible it should work fine. I'm going to check the finer details of this with another member of staff here, so bear with me and I'll get back to you ASAP.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

We have something very similar, we recieve messages as text then sudenly they all come in as text to voice messages (sometimes very difficult to understand), we can send text messages fine from the landline but unpredictable whether any reply will be delivered as text.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thank's for the feedback walker23,
It's starting to sound like this may be an issue. It's likely that I should have more info for you about this tomorrow.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro

Thanks Adam.  We had a text enabled dect phone back before we transferred the phone line to PN (sorry I can't remember when it was now but a good while ago), I asked at the time whether PN supported text on their landline service and, at the time, CS were unable to confirm.  It worked pretty much perfectly with BT but now is rather sporadic as described.  We don't use it so much now as the wife now gets included texts with her mobile.  I'd say we get significantly more of the 'voice texts' than proper ones now (a little annoying as it was one reason for paying the extra for caller ID (which I understand is necessary for receiving texts).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've found some information that may help, it's our instructions for using the service:
If you wish to adjust the settings for the SMS to Voice Service, please dial the following number.

It will read out your telephone number and also advise of the current option selected.
The default option is the Watershed option.
The options are

1) Any time
2) Watershed ( 09:00pm to 09:00am )
3) Standard ( 11:00pm to 07:00am )
4) Late Night ( 12:00am to 06:00am )
5) Off

These changes normally take effect within 20 minutes.

As you can guess, using 5 to turn it off should switch it to SMS>SMS (providing your handset is compatible.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
m063
Grafter

Ours was set to 'standard' which it says is 11pm to 8am.
So I've set it to option 5 & we'll see what happens.
But we're pretty sure that that some of the voicetexts were received during the day.
In any case, I was doing some texts last evening & they were working fine.
(Well, almost fine, I got two which received only the last 12 or so characters of the message  - I had to phone the person in the end, but I'm sure that's a different problem.)
Thanks for this.
Martin
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hope it does sort things out for you, please let us know if not or if there's anything else we can help with Smiley
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@ Matt or Adam,
Does one needs to sign up for SMS package to receive SMS on landline?
Chandu.
w23
Pro

Pretty sure you don't need to sign up, you just need an enabled handset and you will require caller ID.
Call me 'w23'
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@walker23
Which I have.  So, I need to select the option 5 to receive the SMS as SMS.
Chandu.
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
I've found some information that may help, it's our instructions for using the service:
If you wish to adjust the settings for the SMS to Voice Service, please dial the following number.

It will read out your telephone number and also advise of the current option selected.
The default option is the Watershed option.
The options are

1) Any time
2) Watershed ( 09:00pm to 09:00am )
3) Standard ( 11:00pm to 07:00am )
4) Late Night ( 12:00am to 06:00am )
5) Off

These changes normally take effect within 20 minutes.

As you can guess, using 5 to turn it off should switch it to SMS>SMS (providing your handset is compatible.

I used to have SMS messages included with my BT package before but wasn't aware Plusnet offered SMS service - an agent response also said there was no SMS service  ???.
Would any SMS messages be bundled in with Plusnet Home Phone and how much to send SMS messages?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

an agent response also said there was no SMS service

Sorry if that was the case.
Would any SMS messages be bundled in with Plusnet Home Phone and how much to send SMS messages?

Good question, I'll endeavour to find out ASAP.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've checked and double checked and the price for sending an SMS is 10p.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
The_10th
Grafter

Thanks for finding out Adam. I presume no bundled texts at the minute then?
Is it possible to suggest this to the 'products' team especially given the imminent product refresh - I guess it would be fairly cheap and a nice addition?  Smiley
Edit: Just checked and the Standard curfew is 11:00pm to 08:00am  Wink Changed voicetexts to off (5) which takes 20mins according to the announcement.