cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In way over my head!

chalklin

In way over my head!

Hello all...
I've recently moved into my own place, and want the interent. Now, I've ordered the internet as far as I know... lol
I've got this "Home Phone product: Talk Evenings & Weekends Phone number: <snip>Credit balance: 55.00" because I need a landline to get onto the internet yes? But I haven't got the little white socket thing that the phone plugs into? I'm not in the least bit bothered about having a home phone, I just want the internet!
Where does it all plug into etc? I'm still waiting for all the broadband bits to turn up.
Cheers
jim:green phone number removed but put in hidden boards if needed mod:end
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: In way over my head!

HI, chalklin
I'm a bit bemused by that, as you have an active line which requires you to have a phone socket, so you must have one there somewhere.
Although you may not want to use the phone, you have to have an active line for us to supply broadband on. The talk evenings and weekend package is free, and comes with the most basic phone line rental @£11.25. You don't have to use the phone at all. In fact, you don't even need to have one plugged in!
But you'll have to have a good look round for that phone socket, it's got to be there somewhere!
Jojo Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

But you'll have to have a good look round for that phone socket, it's got to be there somewhere!

Start with where the phone line comes into the property. You'll either have an overhead line from a pole usually attached to the wall just under the eaves, or if its underground there will be a small grey box ( about 6"x4" ) attached to the wall about a foot above ground. From either of these a cable will go into the house and tracing that should get you to the phone socket.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Joanne
I'm a bit bemused by that, as you have an active line which requires you to have a phone socket, so you must have one there somewhere.

Unless the wiring and phone pre-dates 19 November 1981. Before then one had to have ones phone hard-wired in by BT (or Post Office if going back even further).
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hopefully you've found your socket but if not, we can send a BT engineer out to fit one for you. Unfortunately this is always chargeable @ £95 for the first hour, £65 for subsequent hours plus parts. Please raise a ticket on your account or give our Support Centre a call on 0845 140 0200 to arrange this.
P.S. in some new builds, the sockets have been fitted in the attic - make sure you check everywhere and if possible, follow the cable from outside the building to make sure it's not hidden somewhere.
chalklin

Hi, thanks for the replies!
Found it over the weekend thankfully!  I think I said I didn't have a line going into the property when I ordered the service and I had to pay extra? Not 100% sure on that, but is it refundable?
Many thanks, Adam.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good news! Our suppliers were able to trace the line in the property and start it without the engineer's visit being necessary. As such, I've refunded your £49.99 installation fee, it will show on your card in 1-3 working days.
chalklin

Ben Trimble you are a hero! Thank you very much!!
The hardware came through today... fingers crossed I can fathom it out and get the net up this evening!
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your order's not due to complete until tomorrow so don't worry if you see a red internet light until then.