cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impressed (So far)

Styxexa
Dabbler

Impressed (So far)

Lately we have been experiencing internet disconnections, and although we get near to max speed I thought nothing more of it and just put up with it.
Landline (supplied by PlusNet) connected it up a couple of days ago, and went to use it for the 1st time today. and its practically unusable as there is a loud humming, and buzzing down the line.
Tried switching off everything electrical, and swapping the telephone for a standard wired handset and no difference.
Went to onto the help assistant put in my phone number and it did this test thing, and came back with a fault on the line (Earth fault) and it would be resolved in 3 working days, gave me a ticket number -  pleased with that!
Details about the problem
-------------------------
Problem experienced: Noisy
Additional information: Humming/ Buzzing noise on the line
Fault details
--------------
Fault location: CE
Diagnosis code: T020
Description: FAULT - Earth Contact

If it really is fixed within 3 working days, then I will be very impressed! -
Fingers crossed
4 REPLIES 4
Styxexa
Dabbler

Re: Impressed (So far)

Hi
Well i raised the fault and unknown to me (until they rang me) Bt engineers turned up( one engineer two different days) wanting access to my property (I was at work 20 miles away at the time, so could not get through)
Stating that they have tested the line outside the property, everything from the exchange to the little black box on the front of the house, and want access stating that the fault must be in the house.
Ok 1st I would have given them access if I knew they where going to be there -
I am trying to arrange this via the ticket support team ( i have tested the connection by switching off all electrical devices, and plugging in a standard wired telephone into the master socket as instructed and the fault is still there ...however it says that if they do find a fault thats within the boundries of my property  I am going to get charged £50 ...why do i have to pay £50 if there is fault with my line, that I rent rendering the phone unusable.?
Styxexa
Dabbler

Hi can anyone help me understand this £50 charge clause
I don't see why I have to pay £50 if the fault lies in the boundaries of my house, when I did not install the faceplate and connection in the 1st place.
I am more then happy to buy a new faceplate if that's at fault, but I don't see when I cannot touch (is what I understand) the cabling behind the faceplate I get charged £50 to enable me to use the phone properly - I just don't understand that's all - can anyone help me?
Regards
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The "within the boundaries of your house" is a misleading term. The line up to your master socket is OR responsibility. That is "inside your house" but technically *not* within its boundaries. Having found no fault outside your house the engineer needs to come inside to check from the master socket.
What isn't clear to me is whether the testing you did using a corded phone was with the lower part of the master socket removed to expose the test socket behind? Kitz provides a picture of what I'm referring to top-right of page http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/troubleshooting.htm.
If the noise is present with just the phone plugged into that test socket using a filter, you've shown the problem is in OR wiring.
That Kitz page discusses ADSL faults, rather than a phone problem, but you might find reading it helpful.
David
Styxexa
Dabbler

Hi
many thanks for the information, and the link - a very good read
This is how I connected up the wired one, I did it as per the instructions that where sent in the ticket. I did not use a filter - sorry my thumb was in the way.
The problem is the same loud buzzing and intermittent crackling.

Kind Regards