cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If i switch who maintains the physical line

bubbleboy

If i switch who maintains the physical line

If i switch to home phone who then would be responsible for the physical maintainance of the line to my house .Say for instance if a lorry pulls down the line( has already happened twice !!) or there is a fault on the line who would i contact ?
15 REPLIES 15
itsme
Grafter

Re: If i switch who maintains the physical line

BT Openreach but you have to contact PN CS to report the fault.
bubbleboy

Thanks for the swift response.Anyone have experience with this system i.e. does this split responsibility work in the real world
itsme
Grafter

BT does have a SLA which mean that after x days if the line is not fixed you will be refunded. Has PN such an agreement? Also BT will divert calls to a mobile at no extra charge, again does PN do this?
bubbleboy

Thanks for the info
I want to switch but live in a rural location and suffer from occasional line damage from trees and lorries all of witch is fixed swiftly by BT for free.
i am just worried that i will be left in a no mans land if there is a fault with both BT and Plusnet passing the buck or just not interested
would be reassured to hear from a user with experience of the system working well.
lingbob
Grafter

The system works well .....
I reported a line fault to PlusNet last Sunday lunchtime.
I got a phone call on Monday morning from PlusNet to arrange a visit by BT Openreach.
The BT Openreach engineer attended on Wednesday afternoon as arranged.
Regards .....
paulby
Grafter

So theoretically it should simply mean that you dial PN instead on 150

You actually have to dial the standard 0114 support number.  150 doesn't work on a PN line - you get a message telling you to dial Plusnet's support number which will come out of your inclusive calls - or it may be counted as a PN to PN call and be free anyway.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
If you switch to us your line is still maintained by BT Openreach, as it is now.
You would report a fault to us, and we would then raise a fault to Openreach.
I have to say that our faults guys are very very good with Home Phone, and the system works well. It's often possible to get engineers out within 24 hours should this be required.
Our support line does not count as a free PlusNet to PlusNet call, but it is an 0114 number which means it's often free in mobile contracts.
Mand
Grafter

Sorry, missed that question.
We can divert your line to any number you determine should you have a fault on your line, although you would need to specifically request this as it requires a manual order to be placed.
Mand
Grafter

Ultimately it would be a products decision, as there is a cost associated with the order.
That said, there are very few Home Phone faults so I don't think this would be an issue if there was a proven demand for it.
Feel free to raise a PUGIT, and we'll consider it if the demand is there. Smiley
jet

Hi.  I had a false alarm yesterday, thought I had a fault - it was a blown fuse!  It's made me realise though I don't know who to contact or what to do if there is a fault.  I can't just go on-line, that'll be down too. 
So, what is the number I need if I ever have to report a fault?
If there was a fault in the line outside the house, but over my property - would I be charged for that?  I'm sure BT only charge if it's in the property.
paulby
Grafter

The number to phone is Customer Support: 0114 296 5198
If the fault is anywhere up to the master socket in your house then you won't be charged (same as with BT).  If the fault is in your own wiring or with your equipment then you probably would incur a charge (as with BT).
The line is still maintained by BT Openreach regardless if you pay PlusNet or BT Retail for your line rental.
lingbob
Grafter

Something else to bear in mind is that if a fault is "internal", the minimum charge would be £85.
Regards .....
jet

Thanks folk, that's good to know.  I knew BT Openreach still fix things, but didn't think about who to actually contact before.  Smiley
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Sorry, missed that question.
We can divert your line to any number you determine should you have a fault on your line, although you would need to specifically request this as it requires a manual order to be placed.

Very recently I had a line fault which rendered my line unusable and I had all my incoming calls diverted to my mobile number. BIG mistake - I was charged for all diverted calls at mobile rates. Fortunately, I only received one call but had I been made aware of this charge, I wouldn't have agreed to have my calls diverted. Good job I didn't receive any international calls!
Regards .....