cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identify the noise and win a prize!

BadStart
Dabbler

Identify the noise and win a prize!

Noisy phone line due to be investigate this week. In the meantime, anybody like to venture a guess as to the fault? The only good thing about it is it drowns out the Plusnet musak noise from around 55s into the clip.

https://app.box.com/s/domlcusxk6er4xyltdhrghqwywpbc1ev

13 REPLIES 13
2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Identify the noise and win a prize!

Sounds like a bad joint somewhere on the line, if the dropwire to the house is routed through trees, then it could be rubbing, as long as the noise stays on when the engineer visits it should be traceable.

BadStart
Dabbler

All underground cables, much of it 40+ year old aluminium. Interestingly, there was a lot of action in draw-pits earlier in the year, and my BB speed went from around 25Mbps up to 30Mbps. Sadly, it didn't last and I struggle to get 25Mbps now. Hoping I'll see an improvement once they fix this fault.

Strange thing is the line's clear as a bell at times.

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

"Strange thing is the line's clear as a bell at times" - is it ok during periods of dry weather, and worse when it's wet by any chance ?  These sort of faults are often caused by water getting into joints.

Is your broadband ok and stable ?  If so it's most likely a fault between the exchange and cabinet.  If it's affecting your broadband as well as phone then it's going to be between the cabinet and you.

Regardless I would keep the recording to play to the OR engineer when they turn up.

BadStart
Dabbler

Broadband's stable but slower than it was. I've got a selection of recordings. The Plusnet number's a good one to use as you're guaranteed a run before a human answers. Plenty of time for the whole range of crackles and squawks before a human answers.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@BadStart  A better test would be the openreach quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2 ( I think). It would spare us the pain of hearing the endless dross when trying to call Plusnet.😩

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Also make sure you try the 17070 test with another phone.

At the very least, if it is an old phone, give it a sharp bang on a hard surface to see if it makes a difference - carbon granules used in the old mics can get bunged up on old phones.

BadStart
Dabbler

Been there, done that, same noise. Strangely, the Plusnet test picked up nothing, even though the operator who took my call confirmed that she could hear crackling on the line. 

2u2me
Pro
Fixes: 3

A lot of noise faults test OK, that's why they are hard to find,(if the noise is not present when the engineer visits) as you are UG  fed it could take a while and may require a digging job 😞   

BadStart
Dabbler

Engineer found corrosion and moisture at 2 external locations, so noisy line cleared.

But, for whatever reason, he started off by removing my VDSL plate and replacing it with an unfiltered master socket 5C. Strange as he'd already agreed that the fault was external. So at present, my broadband speed has bombed from over 25Mbps last night, to 15Mbps now. I assume the line will be "training" again, so hopefully get some of that back, 

More urgent issue is the loss of my extension. Everything was working fine until I disconnected it to rule out internal wiring, but now, it's dead as a Dodo. 

I've checked the cable continuity, the phone, and I even made up a 6" extension using new cable just to eliminate anything that might not have shown up in a continuity check. 

The only thing I can think of is he's fitted a faulty master socket.

Any other ideas?

flanzm
Pro

I  believe the NTE5C master sockets have a new design and work differently from previous versions.  You have to wire extensions from the Blue Connector as per this https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

The line will only enter training mode if the line has been reset to default.  More likely you will have to wait for DLM to see the fault has fixed.  If it doesn't you should be able to request a SNR reset.

BadStart
Dabbler

Afternoon flanzm

If you look at the NTE5C instruction you attached, you'll see the blue camlocks were replaced with clear in 2016. I suspect thousands of perfectly "good" NTE5Cs were dumped as being faulty as there's no way of knowing if the tails are in the right place and trapped by the IDC. The clear replacements allow a visual inspection, but they still seem to be a bit hit and miss - I've played with one on the bench, and they can look perfect, feel perfect in that they don't pull out, but still don't make an electrical connection.

But the extension problem's fixed, at least it was the last time I tried it!

The problem now is slow internet - down to under 12Mbps from my usual 25Mbps, and no sign of DLM managing to do much about it. SNR on the download side has gone up from previous 3dB to over 6dB, so it looks like I've been moved from one nasty pair to another. Plusnet's called OR back, so it's wait and see now.

flanzm
Pro

Sorry my fault I misread the document - good point they are now clear!  I still have an old style NTE, and from what I've read about these NTE5C's with faceplates that keep falling off I hope to keep mine for a while!

Glad the extension is fixed anyhow.

BadStart
Dabbler

Yes. They're cheap and nasty push fit rubbish. Questionable how long the securing tabs will last. I suspect these NTE5Cs probably flex at the drop of a hat. The back box on mine is nearly 40 years old, but I'm prepared to accept the yellowing as it's the only rigid part of the master socket assembly.