cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm Shocked!! Just activated TODAY! V Disappointed..

rajukru

I'm Shocked!! Just activated TODAY! V Disappointed..

Embarrassed
WHO HAD MY 'NEW' PHONE NUMBER BEFORE ME?Huh
The engineer came round today and activated my new plusnet phone line.
I tested the line and was surprised to hear an interrupted dial tone, in this age of phones with answer machines it took me a few minutes to realise it was the 1571 service. So I dutifully dialled 1571 and was surprised to learn that I had 1 message and 3 callers who had called but not left a message. Imagine my surprise when I found out that these were the calls:
1. The message was from a man saying something about a bank refund and insisting I dial '5' (I think this is a call back instruction that could cost lots if premium rate number), possibly pre recorded message. Already very suspect, it sounded like a bogus scam caller.
2. Bearing in mind that my line was activated today (16/5/11)  the first call without a messge was from an 0207 number YESTERDAY AT 5.33pm. Google showed it to be University of London and noted they often do teleresearch about graduates.
3. The second call was from 08000445260 on TUES MAY 3RD AT 3.15pm. Google shows this is 'Stellar Uk' who seem to offer people all sorts of random rubbish.
4. The third call was from an 0208 number on MON MAY 2nd at 12am. I was unable to easily identify on Google but linked to some sites reporting receiving calls from this number claiming to be Anglian Windows.
What is going on? How come there are 1571 messages from over a week ago on a line that has just been activated today? Is this a sign of things to come? Am I going to be inundated with junk phone calls?
Apologies for a long first post but I hate junk calls and with my previous service provider I had almost none for 4 years. With PlusNet I've had 4 cold calls before my line has even been activated. I have read about TPS etc etc and will sign up now but surely the above is ridiculous?
Embarrassed
3 REPLIES 3
James
Grafter

Re: I'm Shocked!! Just activated TODAY! V Disappointed..

Hi there,
I'm very sorry to hear about this.
Whilst almost all numbers aren't actually new, old numbers are normally quarantined for 6 months.  It sounds like that may or may not be the case with yours.
As it's clearly cuasing you a problem, and to be honest with you, I'd be quite annoyed too!  We'll get your number changed free of charge - this normally costs £38.85.
We'll update you via email to let you know what's going on.
rajukru

Many thanks for the fantastically quick response! I had heard about the excellent customer service but seeing it in action is phenomenal!
I've already had emails organising a change of number. I was just posting in the forum as I'd only just joined up and felt really annoyed about junk calls, I hadn't thought to make a complaint and certainly did not expect such fast and decisive action.
I really appreciate the effort but I dont want to change my number now as it was emailed to me some time ago (prior to line activation) and all my contacts have been made aware of the new number.
Please cancel my change of number.
Are there any other options such as call blocking available? I have signed up to TPS already so I hope that will help and I am happy to say I have not had any unwanted calls throughout today or yesterday.
Thanks again for the very fast response. Customer service was the second reason I switched to Plusnet (price was the first!)
James
Grafter

Hi,
I've replied to your ticket - The number change has completed, but we may be able to get the number back.
As a new customer, noting how upset you seemed to be about your unsolitied calls, changing the number made the most sense - sorry that we seemed to disagree on this!