cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I do not use the phone

paulhammersley

I do not use the phone

I have a line for Broadband only, I do not even have a phone plugged in, never have. Looking at the sales page for Plusnet, some services say line rental is included. I am paying £17.99 why is this?

13 REPLIES 13
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: I do not use the phone

It was a change to the way broadband and phone providers had to display the prices. The cost for line rental is still there, it's simply now bundled with the overall price though.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

But it's still shown as a separate charges yes?

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Yep. The monthly invoices still show a breakdown of what you pay.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Minivanman
Legend

Well there's the issue because as we all know that when the lower broadband charge fails to provide the higher income from the line rental does. Some bundle when it all starts to unravel, but at least plusnet is going in the right direction albeit with a bit of pushing and shoving. 

Time to ditch these separate pseudo charges, we've been conned for far too long in my opinion. 

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

So, if you have phone and broadband from different suppliers, who includes the line rental (maintenance) in the bundle? Hiding the charge as part of the bundle is not clarity, having the charges totally separate is clarity and then anyone can add the costs of required services and subtract the various discounts for using a supplier for more than one service to work out the best deal(s) for their circumstances. MPAs may even find a supplier that will include mobile phone services as part of a bundle.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Apologies for the bundled price.

To be honest, I personally preferred the separate charges as they were, however, it's now a regulator decision for us to bundle the costs together I'm afraid.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Minivanman
Legend

Well they could just drop the term bundle, that would be a good start. No need for a separate line and broadband charge as the latter cannot work with the former so who is kidding who here? 

Imagine buying a car and being asked if you wanted the bundle comprised of a vehicle and it's wheels Crazy2

Herman Melville
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

a more reasonable comparison

Do you want the car with insurance bundled in and no idea what the hidden cost is

PeeGee
Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

Well they could just drop the term bundle, that would be a good start. No need for a separate line and broadband charge as the latter cannot work without the former so who is kidding who here? 

Imagine buying a car and being asked if you wanted the bundle comprised of a vehicle and it's wheels Crazy2

So, you are quite happy to subsidise anyone who has a "landline" phone but no broadband, as they would pay no "line rental" with your scheme.

Phil

Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you never use the phone have a look at Pulse8 who provide line rental at £13 per month. before I left Plusnet I had line rental with Pulse8 and fibre from Plusnet.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Minivanman
Legend

Not at all Phil, just trying to put it into perspective.

The phone is no longer the prime user of the line, the internet is which is why everybody is getting so frustrated with it's inability to provide a decent service for everybody and the sooner both customer and provider accept that fact, the sooner the words 'phone line' can be put in the dustbin of history. 

The existing system allows outfits such as plusnet to refund say a fiver when your broadband goes pear shaped whilst at the same insist on charging you that fifteen quid or whatever for your phone which for many is just an aside. 

Herman Melville
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

Well they could just drop the term bundle, that would be a good start. No need for a separate line and broadband charge as the latter cannot work with the former so who is kidding who here? 

Yes, broadband can work without a phone rental from Plusnet. Some people go broadband only with plusnet and some go phone + broadband, so if you take both you are getting a bundle discount.

If you look at the link rental price (about £18) and the Broadband only price (£13 or somethin?) thats more expensive than buying the bundle from Plusnet.

Either way you have to have a phone line from someone as that is the only way currently to get ADSL/FTTC Broadband from BT Wholesale - currently as they are soon launching a broadband only service that does not require any phone line at all, just not sure it will be any cheaper ...

PeeGee
Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

The existing system allows outfits such as plusnet to refund say a fiver when your broadband goes pear shaped whilst at the same insist on charging you that fifteen quid or whatever for your phone which for many is just an aside. 

Whilst everyone refers to a "phone line", you are charged for "line rental" - no mention of the purpose for which the line is provided. It doesn't even refer to "copper" (probably because they probably would have to charge less for Ali lines!). Don't push too hard, or they may start charging extra for "fibre rental" and not include maintenance in the rental costs Crazy3

Phil