cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am receiving nuisance phone calls off a company that is a recorded message all

MW45
Grafter

I am receiving nuisance phone calls off a company that is a recorded message all

I am receiving nuisance phone calls off a company that is a recorded message all the time telling me to press 2 for an SMS message, about 12 times a day Can you block it. If not, why? As it's extremely distressing to my elderly parents.
7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: I am receiving nuisance phone calls off a company that is a recorded message all

What you are experiencing is the consequence of somebody sending a text (SMS) message to a landline telephone.  I'm not sure if you can turn off the text to speech conversion service.  Can you contact whoever is sending the text messages and tell them to stop?
picbits
Rising Star

Re: I am receiving nuisance phone calls off a company that is a recorded message all

There was a way of stopping this but you'd need to speak to whoever provides your mums telephone.
You could also use a call blocker device (BT / Amazon for £30 ish) and reject the number on that. It would require your mum subscribing to Caller ID though.
MW45
Grafter

Well, if it carries on, and plusnet can't do nothing about it as they are my provider. I will cancel my plusnet account as I can't put up with this nuisance calls on my landline all the time. I will just use the mobile.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You need a phoneline for DSL/fibre, so the spam calls will follow with who ever provides the lines.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
picbits
Rising Star

Have you pressed "2" to see if you have a BT Text message ? I'm not sure how often these retry.
It may also be a spammy cold caller trying to sell you something but until you get through you/we won't know.
You could just switch the ringer off on the phone if it is really annoying you and use the phone line for outgoing calls but as stated above, you need an active telephone line for ADSL or FTTC.
MW45
Grafter

Thanks all for your replies especially to the person that Private message me, I'm going to go with a call Blocker , available on eBay that I'm sure will sort the problem out especially as I know the number 😉
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

My dentist has a habit of sending out SMS messages as a reminder about appointments.  These arrive on my home phone via the 'SMS Delivery Service' so such messages are not all bad.  I imagine that blocking the 0845 number that these messages come from would be effective but it does not address the root cause of your problem - which is that somebody is sending your parents unwanted text messages.