cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find out if phone line can be moved??

FIXED
douglas1906
Hooked

How to find out if phone line can be moved??

Hello 

I wonder if anyone has had a similar issue.

I live in quite an old property and the phone line comes in from the top of a pole through a hole above the front door and winds its way ( rather unattractively and covered in years of gloss paint!) to the socket by the window.

I'd like to have the line come into the house in a more convenient place so we dont have all this cable tacked to the walls on its way to the socket. These days most cables enter the property quite unobtrusively and certainly not as blatant as this one

Is it possible to have it moved? and does anyone know how much this will cost

I'm guessing i will still be charged even if the engineer says no

Thanks in advance

Anne

13 REPLIES 13
flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Re: How to find out if phone line can be moved??

Fix
Yes it's possible to have it moved - it's called an internal shift and I believe it costs £160 to get done.
douglas1906
Hooked

Hi Flanzm

thanks for the reply. I wasn't expecting it to be quite that costly though!!

Anne

douglas1906
Hooked

Presumably i can just ring Plusnet Customer Services and request this?

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Yep you’d call 0800 432 0200 selecting the option for order updates, provisioning or similar as it’s something the provisioning team arranges.

As far as I’m aware the £160 covers 2 hours work so if the engineer needs longer you may have to pay more. Not sure how much more though 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@douglas1906 The price quoted is only for moving the master socket inside the house, the line coming in would stay as it is. So this is probably not what you want.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Good point. To move the line itself this may help https://www.openreach.com/network-services/altering-our-network

douglas1906
Hooked

Great thanks for that

Clearly this could end up costing me much more than I thought!

I'll have to investigate further

Anne

flanzm
Pro

The Openreach price list is here https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/pricing/loadProductPriceDetails.do?data=pBzHTRfO4GXC1... this covers exactly what is provided for each service...

Search for Internal and External Shifts - it says

"The External Shift or Rearrangement of Line-plant covers the external  wiring from the distribution point to the protection box (or where one would be fitted) at the End User's premises, and the internal wiring from the protection box up to and including the first (main) socket, block terminal or other network terminating point."

To me it doesn't matter if it's done as an internal or external shift the price is the same £84.86 ex. VAT wholesale price, which turns into £160 at retail!

I suggest you book it, and buy some nice biscuits and good coffee for the engineer then they visit - if you explain what you want doing I am pretty sure they will do what you need for the £160.

douglas1906
Hooked

thanks to you both for your input. However the open reach link is only for businesses national rail forestry utility companies  so have lines moved if they are on in the way of building or expansion undertaken by that company. Not for a house holder whose phone line from the telegraph pole comes into the house in an inconvenient place!!!

Just realised I can attach a photo!  as you can see the line comes from a pole across to the house and down the front through a hole above the front door into the lounge and then about 8 ft of line around the room until it reaches the box on the windowsill around the left side of the house. It would be handy to have it run around the side of the house and in on the left side by the boxIMG_0160.JPGIMG_0162.JPG

apologies the photos were the right way up previously

flanzm
Pro

That's a pretty simple job for an Openreach engineer, and based on my reading of the price book description what you want seems to match the description of an External Shift.

If you want to be 100% sure, you could try posting on here https://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/board,42.0.html?PHPSESSID=747e781c5386752eb229df5a56c00f16 there are a couple of Openreach engineers who help out there, who would be able to tell you exactly how they would handle the job.

douglas1906
Hooked

thanks very much for your help much appreciated

douglas1906
Hooked

I wanted to update this issue as I have finally gotten around to trying to arrange the move.

Plusnet tell me that they cant do this that I have to contact Open Reach. However their 0800 number doesnt allow you to speak to anyone it just lists places on the website that might be helpful.

Has anyone managed to contact Open Reach recently for something similar or does anyone know of a number or email I can try!!!!

Many thanks

Anne

flanzm
Pro

Anne
Ring PlusNet again whoever you are talking to is confused. Openreach only work for communication providers (such as PlusNet) they won't accept orders directly from the public. PlusNet have to arrange this for you - they will then place an order for the work with Openreach.

I suspect the person you spoke to didn't know how to do it, so they sent you to Openreach.