cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is it that a line problem ...

Razer
Grafter

How is it that a line problem ...

... shows as being fine when the phone company you're with (whoever that may be) do a line test when you phone up?
Every time I've had a problem on my line, be it BT, another provider, or in my current case PN, when I report the problem they say they're doing a line test and a few moments later they always say the line test comes back as not showing any problem. In every case when the BT man comes out there is indeed a problem with my line (yeah, I said that already). Evidently this line test that the company does is either faulty or simply not good enough to detect when there really is a problem. What is this test? Is it a simple 'quiet line test'? If so I cannot understand how they can possibly get a clear quiet line test on my line when I am completely unable to use my phone due to it being far from quiet. Moreover, how can they listen right up to my master socket? It doesn't make any sense to me.
So here I am waiting for a BT man to do something, and I'm going to have to wait for 'up to' three days, with the usual threat of "If it's your wiring you'll have to pay X amount of money for the call out". It just makes me so angry that we have to go through the same rigmarole with a faulty line when I know I have a faulty line and it's nothing to do with my equipment or wiring.
20 REPLIES 20
Razer
Grafter

Re: How is it that a line problem ...

I've just had an email in regard to my line fault. One thing it said was:
"... the current estimated repair date is by the end of play on 09/01/13."
What does that mean, exactly? Is that when the engineers finish their shift, 6pm, 8pm, midnight, what?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It's stated on the fault as "Estimated Response Time 09/01/13 23:59:00" so any time up to Midnight on the 9th. Sorry about the way that's phrased, it does seem a little inappropriate - I'll feed back to the agent concerned for you.
Razer
Grafter

Thank you kindly for the clarification, Matt. Can you shed any light on this testing you or your agents do on the line?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll try - I'm not completely sure and can't find any information online to support this, but I believe the tests basically run a current down the line to check for the resistance to see if there are any areas with higher than usual, which might indicate a break in the wiring. I believe they also check the joints and equipment at the exchange to make sure everything is working alright there, so it's more than a simple quiet line test (though is by no means infallible).
Hope that helps.
Razer
Grafter

Ah, I see. Thanks for that. I'm surprised that your support staff are able to do that level of testing in a few moments whilst one is talking to them. Evidently it's not infallible if it can't detect what seems to be a severely crossed line. As an example, I tested again this morning to see if the problem was still there - it was. Just out of curiosity, even though I could hear no dial tone, I chanced trying to dial into 17070 and got the options, so chose quiet line test to hear:
"[Tone, tone, tone]" ... "Quiet line test" ... "Sorry, the number you have dialled has not been recognised. Please hang up and try again." ..."Quiet line test." "[tone, tone, tone]Sorry the number you have dialled has not been recognised ..."
Several times when I've tested I get the 'sorry, the number you have dialled' business intermixed with various other system sounds and voices just by opening the line, all behind this severe crackling. As another test I dialled my land line from my mobile and it sounds just as bad from my mobile. Two times I did it and both times my landline phone said 'signal lost' but it was still crackling like mad through my mobile.
Anyway, I'm a bit uncertain about what's going to happen. Am I waiting on a BT engineer to come? I have not been told of any appointment but can't help but think they'd have to check the line from my end. Or is it going to be the case that from the end of the day on the 9th they'll then report back (the cynic in me says they'll say there's nothing wrong) and then I'll have to wait further days for an engineer appointment?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I suspect they've done more tests than we can and have found a possible issue, as it's a potential crossed line it's pretty much definitely outside your premises so won't require an appointment to be made with yourself. The date given is the estimated response time, which is usually pretty accurate - I suspect an engineer will be going out tomorrow and we'll hear back regarding his findings later in the day. Hopefully that'll get it sorted.
Razer
Grafter

"... outside your premises so won't require an appointment to be made with yourself."
Oh good. I hope this proves to be the case.
"The date given is the estimated response time, ..."
Oh, I think the penny has just dropped with me. I had perceived that something would be done any time up to the date given. Whereas I now think that means that is the exact response date. OK, that's clear to me now. Thanks very much, Matt. So now I just have to continue waiting on my intermittent mobile connection. Sad For the short time I've had BB again, I've already been spoiled as the mobile connection I've been using for the last two years now seems horrible.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There's a bit of info on the copper line test on the second post on this thread at Kitz: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,2830.msg77192.html?msg77192
Razer
Grafter

Some terminology I don't quite understand, but enlightening nonetheless. Quite impressive just what testing can be done. Thanks very much for that link, Ben. Makes me wonder; if I left my old BT tester phone plugged in, I might hear when they're testing the line.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think the CIDT test that can be run by ISP's as part of the KBD tests is a bit more exacting that the standard WLR3 telephony line test. Putting my cynic hat on, I also suspect that the Phone service (line rental) providers have access to "cleansing" functions which can clean up a poor joint albeit it doesn't last, so when the line test is run, wow NFF!
Razer
Grafter

If I read you correctly ... I wouldn't be surprised!
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

A copper line test is run as part of ADSL diagnostics but is the same test as forms part of PSTN diagnostics. There are no 'cleansing' functions that we have access to; I don't think the test itself has any beneficial effects either.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I did have my cynic hat on  Wink  However, there is a difference between the plain WLR3 tests and the ADSL Diagnostics, although I'm not sure of the detail as so many things have changed. Certainly OR engineers have access to the "cleansing" function (hmm, better not put another cynic hat on),  but I don't know about BTw.
Razer
Grafter

Whatever can or can't be done, my line is still very much freaky and as the hours go by I'm getting less and less confident that it's going to be fixed "by the end of play" today. I've got my cynic hat very much on ... under my impatient hat.