cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is a phone line installed?

lm1

How is a phone line installed?

Hi,

I have an appointment booked for an engineer to carry out installation of my phone service as part of the set up process for fibre broadband.

There are already BT openreach sockets at the property. I'm not sure whether there is an existing line or whether the line has just been deactivated. I'm also not sure whether the line just needs reactivating or a new one installing altogether. How will I know? Could anyone explain what installing a new phone line actually involves please? I'm a little concerned as it is a rental property and I'm not sure what to expect the engineer to do. 

Sorry - I really don't understand how it all works! Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: How is a phone line installed?

If the socket and line are already physically there, then the engineer will probably hook up some test equipment in the flat to the existing master socket.

They will then disappear off to the street cabinet to find the other end of the wires and then connect them up to the telephone exchange. When all is done they will call back to retrieve your test equipment and let you know that the line is live. 

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Though if you don't have fibre in the dwelling already, that'll entail some new fibre cabling probably from the cabinet.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

What? Who said anything about fibre? The Op is asking about his phone line. Even if it was FTTP the fibre doesn't even come from the cabinet.Huh

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Just to clarify, that installation of a line to an existing phone socket doesn't require any drilling to walls or new cabling running inside the flat. Even if you take one of the Plusnet Fibre Packages then the existing master socket will be used as the fibre only runs as far as the street cabinet, the connection from the cabinet to the master socket is provided over the existing phone line.
The only instances that drilling and attaching new boxes to the wall would take place is if the new line was an additional line so that the customer has two phone numbers e.g one for business and one for personal use or the customer is signed up for the Fibre to the Premises trial which would require extra kit installing in the flat.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

You cannot make those categorical statements.

If fibre were involved here, it could be FTTP in which case it goes right into the property - not to the cabinet.

Though there might be an existing socket and an existing drop wire, if these are deemed not serviceable, new ones will be installed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

..but FTTP comes via the local cabinet surely? They seem to often have Openreach ads plastered on them, or Gigaclear in our village.
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60