cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn on call barring for all outgoing calls

yldlm

How do I turn on call barring for all outgoing calls

Hi,
I've just signed up for Plusnet broadband, and I'd like to bar all outgoing calls (don't care about incoming) once the line goes live. How do I do it? According to the links below, it may not be very straightforward to set up, so I'd like to know what the feature is called exactly before calling customer service.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122209.msg1059443.html#msg1059443
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115314.msg994023.html#msg994023
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,110638.msg947771.html#msg947771
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97116.msg819511.html#msg819511
12 REPLIES 12
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: How do I turn on call barring for all outgoing calls

Hello there. I'm sorry, but we don't offer a feature to bar outgoing calls. The only circumstance in which we'll bar a line is if there is an outstanding balance for 14 days or more. We'd apply route to credit control (RTCC), which will essentially route any number dialled to our support team. This costs £5.76 for each time it is applied, however this isn't a service we offer.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
yldlm

Thank you for your reply.
Can you confirm that the information in the links is no longer valid?
Is there any way to block outgoing calls, like applying a usage cap? Can RTCC be put on my line when I have no arrears?
I may need to switch to a provider that offers call barring, if I cancel the order, is there a charge and will I get back the upfront line rental?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

In theory, we can manually apply RTCC for the one off charge of £5.76, but this is not a service we offer customers as we cannot guarantee that this will remain active on the line as it is linked to the billing of your account. Therefore, it is possible that the automated system will automatically remove the call barring each month on your bill date. However, this is something that hasn't been tried before to my knowledge. If you're within the 14 day cooling off period, you should be able to cancel.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
yldlm

Hi Anoush,
Thanks for your reply.
Your RTCC description sounds very similar to what's mentioned in the links. Would you be able to apply RTCC to my line when it goes live or do I need to call customer support? Is it possible to check if RTCC is enabled in Member Centre?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As Anoush suggest, this isn't something we officially offer I'm afraid.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
yldlm

Hi Chris, Anoush said it's possible to manually apply RTCC in theory, are you saying it's impossible in practice? What about the phone credit limit? What's the lowest limit? Can it be set to £0 ?
If I cancel the order within 14 days cooling off period, I won't be charged and will get back what I've paid?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hello there. We discussed the option of lowering your credit limit, as this would bar the line if it is exceeded to a negative value. However, each month your bill is generated, the credit limit will reset and the line will automatically be unrestricted. Outbound call barring isn't a service we offer. We offer the same service to all our customers, so we don't have the capacity to manually keep an eye on multiple accounts should others decide they would also like their phone permanently barred from making calls. I'm really sorry, but we're unable to prevent your phone handset from making outbound calls.
If you are within your cooling off period, then you would be able to cancel for a full refund.
yldlm

Hi Anoush, I understand that used/available credit will reset each month, but the credit limit should remain unchanged, how low can the credit limit be set to?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hello. We could change the credit limit to £0, however I don't believe this has ever been done before so we wouldn't know for sure what effect it may have. I imagine that if you try to make a call, it will instantly go into a negative balance. RTCC would then be applied within 24 working hours. However, once your bill date comes around, that negative balance will reset, the call charges will add to your bill and RTCC will be removed within 24 working hours.
yldlm

Hi Anoush, in the second billing cycle, if RTCC did get removed automatically,  the credit limit of £0 would still be in place presumably, and the same restriction would apply just like the first billing cycle, and the same process repeats each month?
Would you be able to set my credit limit to £0 when it goes live or do I need to phone customer support?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hello. It should do, yes. However, each time it is applied, you will be charged £5.76. Only our support team can change your credit limit, however I could do it myself if you PM me your username. I would need to give you a call to confirm you are happy to accept the call barring charge if RTCC is applied.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@ yldlm
You could always try another approach, i.e. use a phone/system that allows outgoing call blocking.
e.g. the Gigaset N300 (VoIP) base station which I use has the facility to not use the fixed line for outgoing calls.  A simple belt and braces approach (if not using VoIP) would also be to create a number of rules (10) in the dial plan to block all numbers beginning with 0-9.
Obviously that wouldn't stop someone plugging another phone into the line ...