cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I setup the telephone?

Janus

How do I setup the telephone?

Hello,
my Product is "Plusnet Line Only" and everything works fine since August in terms of DSL and Wifi. However, today I wanted to setup my landline telephone but I cannot get a ringing tone at all. Since I was given a phone number when my plusnet account was activated, I presume that I should be able to use a lanlline phone, right?
Any of you guys has an idea how to activate/setup my telephone?
Thankyou,
Janus
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: How do I setup the telephone?

Did you plug it in via a filter as it should just work
A thought - what type of phone have you got and if it is a DECT phone have you connected it to a power supply  (please don't shout if it is a silly question)
Janus

thank you for your reply!
yes, the phone socket base is plug into the filter (I also tried the wall socket alone - did not work either). And yes it's connected to electric power supply.
It's just dead when I try to make a call (or call my no. with my mobile) - no sound whats o ever.
Any other ideas? Did it work straight away with you guys or did you have to do to set it up?
cheers,
Janus
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it should work straight away but is there a possibility of having a duff phone
Can you borrow one to try
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: Janus
everything works fine since August in terms of DSL and Wifi.

Just to be crystal clear, is your internet connection ADSL or FIBRE (FTTC)?
If it is FTTC then your current situation could be attributed to a fault on the POTS side of the exchange to the cabinet circuit.  If it is ADSL then the fault could well be in your home - either wiring or phone.
A good old fashioned wired phone plugged into the master socket (where the phone line comes into your home - not and extension) is an ideal test for a dial tone.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Janus

I just checked again with a very old phone (also wireless) and it worked!
May it be the reason that the other phone I tried was BT branded? Do they have an equivalent of a sim lock?
Any ideas how I can get the BT wireless phone to work?
Cheers,
Janus
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Landline phones are not locked to a provider so your phone should work (assuming it's not faulty)
Does the handset show any signs of being registered to the basestation?
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Janus,
Sorry to hear your wireless phone isn't working. I have ran a line test on your line and can confirm that there is no fault found. As the line worked with the other phone you tried I'd be tempted to suggest that it's your phone that may be faulty. It may be worth checking through the manual for the phone itself and seeing if it needs to be reset.