cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I stop them from phoning me?

clairesdog
Grafter

How can I stop them from phoning me?

When we moved house we moved towns so had to have a new telephone number.
Since then we keep getting phonecalls for a MR CRAIG BEVAN, we have no idea who he is, and neither does anyone else! we seem to be getting anything up to 5 phonecalls a day from the same 2 numbers. (019320332002  & 01702 226505)
We are registered with the TPS and I also raised a ticket a while back to check we were still ex directory.
I have spoken to the numbers concerened and explained that there is nobody here of that name and that we wish to be removed from their system, they assure us we will be, then the next day they phone again.
Can I do anything to stop them ringing. My hubby works shifts and he is always getting woken up by them ringing. We can't turn the ringer off the phone as then we can't hear any calls coming through, with an elderly grandparent we need to be able to take calls.

Thanks!
Claire.
8 REPLIES 8
Minxymoo
Grafter

Re: How can I stop them from phoning me?

I had a similar problem over 10 years ago when I first moved house.  I used to get calls for someone that had never lived in the house.  I was with BT at the time and they said I must have been issued with a number that had been in circulation before and probably quite recently.  They did supply me with a new number and told me this one had not been used for quite a few years.  Thankfully this stopped the problem.  Smiley
I’m not sure how you can stop companies phoning you if they already have your number on their system.  Obviously you can ask them not to call but if they are chasing someone up who might owe money etc they probably will keep phoning!! 
I’ve goggled 01702 226505and it’s a Debt consolidation company.  Sad
Could you ask to be provided with a new number and request one that is either new or has not been used for a few years? 
I know it’s an inconvenience having to change numbers again but better than being phoned all the time.
Minxymoo
Grafter

I’ve just thought of something. Smiley
If it’s the same 2 numbers that call you, could you ask your provider, I’m assuming it’s plusnet, if you could refuse these numbers?  You can do this with BT it’s called choose to refuse.  I don’t know if Plusnet provide a similar service?
Here’s the information from BT website - Choose to Refuse prevents unwanted or nuisance calls getting through to you.
If you frequently receive unwanted or nuisance calls from a particular number, you can block that number. And if you change your mind, you can lift the block whenever you like and allow the caller to contact you again.
hulls
Grafter

If these are business callers, tell them the next call will result in a complaint to the Information Commissioner.
clairesdog
Grafter

Thanks!  I did wonder if plusnet do a choose to refuse option...I can't see anything on the info.
I could change number again, but it was such a cock up the first time when I moved here, that this is my second number anyway, then I had no broadband for a month. I'm wary aabout upsetting anything again.
I have asked them loads of times to remove the number etc...
Who do i complain to if they keep phoning, is there a body that deal with this such as ofcom?
David_W
Rising Star

As Hull's has said, you should be able to take it up with the Information Commissioner.  Under the Data Protection Act all information stored on a computer has to be correct (basically put) so you have let them know the information on their computer is incorrect (the person they want does not live there) so they have to update it with the correct information.  Just notify them next time they call that if they call again you will take it up with the information commissioner which will result in a huge fine for them.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: clairesdog
Thanks!  I did wonder if plusnet do a choose to refuse option...I can't see anything on the info.

See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,66508.0.html
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I got fed up with a company calling me so I eventually made an appointment for a rep to call on me.  I was out at the time he called Grin Grin
The calls stopped though.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
You can have Choose to Refuse added, but this is a manual process (which is why it's not on the portal). You'd need to raise a ticket asking for it to be adding, and authorise the cost (£7.50 per quarter).
edit: typo