cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I reduce my call bill? How do I change to cheaper package?

lagoonboy

How can I reduce my call bill? How do I change to cheaper package?

Hello.
This is my first month with Plusnet so I don't know my way around this supplier's offerings.
I couldn't continue with TalkTalk at my new location.
My line rental is £17 + broadband £2.50 = min charge monthly - £19.50 for 1st 12 months.
My calls came to £14 but when I tried to get that deal where you pay a fixed sum for all calls (by clicking at the Anytime link), it took me to the current offer webpage (which expires in 2 days) that I've already been told I cannot move on to.
A £34 total monthly bill is just too much esp when primarily I just want to connect to the internet.
What is the name of the fixed rate call anytime package?
Is there a similar but cheaper package, eg weekend & after 7pm weekdays?
Can it be added to line rental plus broadband?
What does it cost?
Why can't I simply opt to include it in my package online?
Can it be added without having a phone conversation with Plusnet - telephone calls to Plusnet wait times today are said to be 30 minutes?
Anybody got any clever tricks for making calls independently of the landline to get calls v cheaply, without using Plusnet?
Many thanks,
LB
7 REPLIES 7
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: How can I reduce my call bill? How do I change to cheaper package?

Simply log into the Plusnet Member Centre and click 'Product Change', direct link: http://portal.plus.net/upgrade_process.html?memberheader=upgrade
Click on 'Change my products' button, select 'Keep this product' on the Broadband Products screen then the next screen should offer the choice of available telephone package options.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
lagoonboy

Thanks for your fast reply w23.
The comments below are for any Plusnet IT Team members who might pass by and read my comments. They're not for you w23.
Actually you click "Change my plan" first.
Then when your plan is displayed again, the "Keep my plan" button becomes available.
My plan shows I'll be charged £9.99 for broadband - no hint of the anticipated discount. Fancy showing the wrong price to the customer - that's not clever. That's not what I signed up to.
What a crazy way to make call plans visible and available for selection.
First you have to click that you want to change your plan.
Then you click on "Keep my plan".
Then you're offered money-saving Anytime call packages.
Bizarre sequence & the plans are 3 levels down. No wonder I couldn't find them unaided.
LB
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I wonder if a staff member could confirm that existing discounts are automatically retained if changing only the telephone calls package via this method - I'm sure it's been confirmed before that changing telephone calls package should not affect any existing discounts or contract periods.
I agree it's a bit scary to see a different price than you're actually paying when you look a the product change screens - I'm sure it's always been this way though and discounts are simply not shown on these screens.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
lagoonboy

Thanks for those further considerations, w23 - most valid.
LB
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: lagoonboy

Anybody got any clever tricks for making calls independently of the landline to get calls v cheaply, without using Plusnet?

Just use VoIP.  You'll still have to pay someone (PlusNet) for your line rental, but once you're set up your calls will be dirt cheap.
TechSup
Dabbler

Quote from: lagoonboy
The comments below are for any Plusnet IT Team members who might pass by and read my comments.

Thank you for your post and welcome Lagoonboy.
Yes you are quite right if you change your products through the Member centre you do loose any existing discounts just give our Customer Service guys a call on 0800 432 0200 and request that the move you to the anytime call package which will then keep your existing discounts intact.
The change will go through on your next scheduled billing date so please contact us beforehand.
The Anytime Call package includes:-
Calls to 01,02,03,0845 & 0870 numbers for up to 60 minutes free. and costs a flat rate of £5.00 per month
G3WYP
Rising Star

Anytime calls are £6:00 a month now not £5:00