Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move problems ?

petecov44
Grafter

House move problems ?

Evening.
So had phone line moved across today as part of house move. Old number dead new one active BUT landline at new address is dead. No dial tone nothing. Best to wait a day or so before calling? Was told wlr3 said the line was just stopped so exchange should have connected it.
It's a really old socket but it is the only one coming in here and I've followed the wiring out the window to the pole.
So is tthis normal?
Thanks
28 REPLIES 28
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: House move problems ?

Hi Pete,
I'm sorry to hear you're unable to use the phone line. The order has completed so you should be able to make and receive calls. I've ran a line test and nothing is coming up to indicate that there's a problem with the line.
I've created Ticket: 87512161 on your account and escalated it to you asking you to perform some testing before we can progress the fault. If there's still no dial tone after you've completed the testing we can arrange for an engineer to attend to resolve this for you.
petecov44
Grafter

Hi Linn,
Yes I got that and my reply was in shock. Surely it is best to wait until the engineer installs the fibre next week? As he can then sort the line out?
My last engineer did both. Or is it still a case of 1 engineer for BB and 1 for PSTN? I am hoping in the 21st century they can do both.
I have no dialtone and I have looked around the flat. I can see what I think is the little DACS box (and put a picture on the other ticket) but apart from that can't see any other sockets. The line comes into this room and goes to this very old NTE5 ( pre 2010 and probably from the 80/90s)
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Pete,
I've responded to the ticket now. DACS should NOT mean that your land line doesn't have a dial tone. This means that there may be a fault on your line.
I've had a look at the picture you attached to Ticket: 87449497 and I can confirm that this is a junction box, not DACS. If you are unable to get a dial tone we can raise this to our suppliers and we'll need to book an engineer to attend. The engineer who attends for your FTTC service will not be there to resolve a fault on your line so therefore may not be trained to do this.
petecov44
Grafter

Hi Linn,
Fair play. I have looked all around the flat I can only locate 1 socket. There are 2 sockets in the flat but they are assigned to other things and used as power points.
I have also taken the faceplate off and hooked into the MS and can still get no tone so I will now go and raise a fault.
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you respond to Ticket: 87512161 I'll get this raised to our suppliers for you, Pete.
Also, can you confirm your availability over the next few days for an engineer's appointment?
petecov44
Grafter

Hi Linn,
I work from home so I am always about but before I do and you do can you please look at these pictures?
The socket I am in IS an extension. It's got no master socket BUT despite following the outside wires into the flat I can't find any NTE5. It's possible the dacs has diverted it all to the flat downstairs?
WLR3 states the line here has been idle since 2010.
These pictures are all that I can see on the outside of the flat (which is on top of another one)
They are pics 1 2 & 3 for easy reference. Our living room window is to the right in pic 3.
Thanks
Pete
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've raised the fault to Openreach so that an engineer can come out and take a look at all that wiring. I'm confident that the 1st picture shows the DACS box but then I got lost in picture 2 and 3.
I've arranged for the engineer to attend tomorrow between 8AM and 1PM. Please be available to grant the engineer access.
Keep us updated on here how the engineer gets on tomorrow.
petecov44
Grafter

Thanks. I will be here and I will let you know
If he does find the NTE I understand I will be billed. Please also put notes on to ignore the dogs we have as they are soft as brushe
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've put notes on the faults ticket stating that you shouldn't be billed for any issues regarding the external wiring.
I'll update the notes now to warn the engineer about the nice dogs Smiley
petecov44
Grafter

Thanks  Crazy
They will be locked up in a room but in the worst case they got out he'd be licked to death and that's about it. It's just when he rings the bell they will bark and that's why I wanted him to know about them.
I will be dammed if I can find a master socket anywhere. it's like the extension is coming from the DACS..
Downstairs don't have a phone service I don't think - if they do they have ours and don't know it.
petecov44
Grafter

Engineer has been here since 8:05 . Will update you soon.  Wink
petecov44
Grafter

Hi Linn,
He loved the dogs. Had a play Smiley
He went about 20 minutes ago. Problem solved and we have a working line. ]
We were still on the DACS kit at the exchange, The box we see in Pic 1 is nothing to do with us but it does look like someone has been out and done some wiring to the wrong flat.
He's re cabled from the pole and installed a master socket as we didn't have one. Sorted with thanks
Pete
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Great stuff, Pete Smiley Glad to hear the line's working okay now.
The Fibre order is still being monitored on Ticket: 87143136. Any problems don't hesitate to give us a shout!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

*/Off Topic
What breed of dog