cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move for phone/fibre

Aeer

House move for phone/fibre

I placed an order on 28/02/14 for a housemove/re-provide, sounded easy enough at the time, and because the new property was in a fibre area i opted to go for that also, however it's been nothing but problems since.
It started with an engineer being booked for 13/03/14, a few before they where due i called plusnet to confirm if a router had been sent as i was under the impression this would be needed for the engineer to complete the setup, i was told it had. So 13/03/14 comes and i apologise to the engineer that i hadn't recieved a router and he said he would do what he can to have things ready for when i does arrive. Engineer reports a disconnect on the line, and says he will report this back to plusnet as he believes it is underground and there is nothing more he can do, i should expect another appointment within a few days he says.
Nothing for a week so i call plusnet on 18/03/14 to ask for an update. I am told no report of a fault was made, but they will chase this up and book another engineer... great. Still no router.
19/03/14 and i see "Tentative is due to be sent by the end of the day once the current exception is cleared. Please accept this when possible and arrange a new appointment." pop up on the help assistant.
20/03/14 an engineer is booked to enable fibre for 02/04/14 and i assume the fault is cleared. I'm quite unhappy with all the delays at this point.
22/03/14 the engineer is rebooked for 27/03/14, i also recieved notification of a new router being sent out.
27/03/14 engineer visits and i have recieved the router, he goes ahead and does his thing. 3 hours and a great deal of confusion later i'm told there is something wrong with the line. He tells me the line is fine coming from the cabinet to the distribution point in my block of flats but it doesn't get to the socket in my flat. He says the line goes somewhere from the distribution point but not to my flat, i have no idea what is going on. He leaves advising me to call plusnet in a few days.
Today i call plusnet and relay what little information i know, a few minutes on hold later i'm told it will be raised as a fault and to expect and engineer on 02/04/14. I check the ticket for confirmation of this on the help assistant and it says "Please note, should an engineer find the cause of the fault to be on your internal wiring or setup then a charge of £99 will apply." I am not prepared to pay a possbile £99 charge when the issue may well come under internal wiring.
I really am tired of trying to get this fixed and the apparent lack of communication between plusnet and openreach. I fail to see why i am having to report back what openreach engineers say in order to get things moving.
Please can someone just look into this and provide a solution that doesn't involve me risking having to fork out £99, surely openreach would have in depth records on what needs fixing here? why another engineer? Please help.
7 REPLIES 7
KK
Grafter

Re: House move for phone/fibre

Aeer - how old is your flat?  Has it previously been connected?  Are the other flats in the block connected?  Have you bought the flat, or do you rent?  Do you pay a service charge and, if so, what does it include?
The UK government officially regards internet access as an essential part of modern life, but it does not appear to be interested in trying to ensure its universal availability in the same way that it will not allow energy suppliers and water companies to cut off the supply.
Aeer

Hi KK
how old is your flat?  Roughly 8 years.
Has it previously been connected?  Yes, in 2011 with sky i have been told, it already had an openreach socket installed.
Are the other flats in the block connected?  Can't speak for them all, but my neighbour has fibre, and at least 2 others within wireless distance.
Have you bought the flat, or do you rent? Rented.
Do you pay a service charge and, if so, what does it include? No service charge.
I'm very suprised to have these issues, especially given the flat has obviously had fibre in the past.  My neighbour got fibre activated on 11/03/14 with talktalk and had 0 issues also.
KK
Grafter

@Aeer - it would be nice to think that your landlord would be willing to get involved in your problem.  Have you asked?
How certain are you that your flat has had fibre in the past?  Why not talk to talktalk, given that your neighbour has had no problems with their service?
Aeer

I spoke to my landlord about it, but he was oblivious to there being any issue, he said he would gladly give permission for a new line to be put in but i'd have to pay for it.
The information i have about the flat having fibre in the past comes directly from the engineer i had visit on 27/03/14, he called to get a check on the history of the line and found it was disconnected in 2011 after having fibre from sky.
I have considered going with talktalk instead but i'm confused as to my status with plusnet, i was originally in a no contract service for broadband/phone until 03/03/14 when it should have been switched to a 24 month contact for phone/fibre at the new property, but my account status still shows as being on a no contract service at my old address. If i truely am still contract free and able to walk away without facing any further payments it would be very tempting to go with another supplier who might take a different approach, i also understand some suppliers would fit a new line free of charge with that length of contract, whether or not that would solve this mess i don't know.
KK
Grafter

@Aeer - I would simply say to PlusNet that you are not prepared to pay £99 for the transfer of their service, and that therefore you no longer have any kind of contractual obligation.
You will then be free to shop around, and it is extremely likely that you will find a better deal elsewhere.
It is interesting that PlusNet are very quick to pass on the penalties for 'wasted' appointments, but say nothing about compensating their customers for BTOR's failures to attend on the appointed day.
Good Luck.
Aeer

As an update i had a call from Plusnet this morning and was informed that i would not be at risk of facing a £99 charge, a few hours i had later an unexpected engineer visit. The engineer seems to have fixed whatever was wrong with my line, i now have a working phone line with no fibre. On the help assistant on my account i have a new message  stating "We are currently awaiting confirmation the fault on the line has been resolved. Once this has been resolved we shall look to book your fibre appointment."  It seems things are now looking good!
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Aeer,
I'm glad to hear the phone fault has been resolved for you.
I've gone ahead and cleared this with our suppliers and confirmed that the service is now working. This means that your Fibre installation can now progress and we have requested the earliest available appointment. The provisional date is stated in Ticket: 82043843. We should be able to confirm the date in the next 24-48 hours.