cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone

teacher
Dabbler

Home phone

Can someone help? I have broadband and home phone from Plusnet (home phone recently activiated).
I have a BT  mango phone which is text enabled and also has an answering machine and an icon which logs number of missed calls but have realised since switching my phone to Plusnet  none of these seem to work.  I also didn't realise that  caller display is not automatically included free. I would like to know if this may be  the reason why my phone is no longer displays any missed calls made to my phone and also why my answer machine no longer works?
I understand that Plusnet home phone on the any time plan does not include the 200 free texts like BT but as my phone is text enabled does it mean I can no longer send texts either? I have noticed that my texts come through as a voice message now and also the text icon when I receive a text is no longer there. Could this be because my new account with Plusnet home phone hasn't got caller display and if it did have would be able to see who is or has rung me as well as the other icons that were available before switching to Plusnet? Or do I need to remove the automatically included 1471 and 1571 and voicemail services using the home phone control panel as I prefer my own answer machine.
I would be grateful for any support on this one I no there is nothing wrong with my phone all this has started over the last few days when I switched to Plusnet( Which i'd like to add has been a fantastic provider!!!)
Thank you
20 REPLIES 20
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Home phone

welcome to the forum
yes you do have to get caller display, it has to be switched on at the exchange,  the feature are to be found herehttps://portal.plus.net/plustalk/index.php?page=wlr_add_call_features
dont know the answer to the texts, you will probably have to wait till tomorrow for the PN Staff
teacher
Dabbler

Thanks for  your help! I had already seen the page where the link refers to, but thanks anyway. I just wanted someone to clarify whether I would still have all my phones previous functions before I requested caller display.
johpal
Grafter

My 'phone (Siemens Gigaset) is also text enabled. If I remember correctly, you send your first text and everything is set up automatically. Try texting your mobile 'phone from your home line.
You will need Caller Display added to your Home hone package to see missed calls numbers, but I don't understand why your answering machine doesn't work. Have you changed your home telephone number with the move to Home Phone? I have to explicitly tell my Gigaset which line(s) it should answer (I have both an ordinary line and a VoIP line; separate numbers).
teacher
Dabbler

Thanks for that Cheesy but I have contradicting responses from Plus net (By the way I have been using my phone for a number of years with BT and regularly sent texts)  One response I got from Plus net said that I would be able to send and receive texts but another member of the Plusnet team said that it is only possible with a BTlandline provided by BT and no longer possible as I have switched to Plusnet. Although I am a little confused because doesn't BT own Plusnet?
I have received a text (well that is it came thro as a voice message instead of the previous text message) and no I haven't changed my number and also only have 1 phone line.  I was wondering if my answer machine wasn't working because of the 1571 service or voice mail my answer machine comes on after 9 rings but I think the 1571 or voice mail comes on after 5.
Hopefully everything may become clear! Smiley
Be3G
Grafter

I think the 1571 service does indeed kick in after fewer than nine rings, which means you've hit the nail on the head regarding your answer phone problem: 1571 will need to be disabled in order for your line to keep ringing enough times to invoke your answering machine. If you go to Pierre's link again and click the small ‘Remove call features’ button you'll be able to do just that. Smiley I'm afraid that, as with the others, I am however unable to help regarding the text messaging issue.
teacher
Dabbler

T
hanks very much 4 your help  anyway I think I will disable 1571 now Smiley
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The Plusnet tariff table quotes, under Fixed Fee Call Charges, 10p per call for "Text Messages". I assume that is for sending SMS.
http://www.plus.net/residential/tariffs/homephone.html
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Text messaging *does* work on our service, but you'll need to turn off SMS to Voice (most people don't have text phones, so SMS to Voice is active by default).
Instructions follow:
<i>f you wish to adjust the settings for the SMS to Voice Service, please dial the following number.

It will read out your telephone number and also advise of the current option selected.
The default option is the Watershed option.
The options are

1) Any time
2) Watershed ( 09:00pm to 09:00am )
3) Standard ( 11:00pm to 07:00am )
4) Late Night ( 12:00am to 06:00am )
5) Off

These changes normally take effect within 20 minutes.</i>
Turning it off will mean you get texts rather than voice messages, the other stuff can be sorted by turning off 1571 and turning on Caller Display. Smiley
teacher
Dabbler

;)Thanks Mand but I have raised a ticket on this subject and this was part of the reply
"Please be advised that the Text messaging service only works with a BT landline (Provided by BT) this is a service that a Plusnet line does not support. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause to you."
Therefore could you clear this up for me please!!!
Thanks again Mand but sas you can see I am receiving contradictory advice! Undecided
Be3G
Grafter

Mand definitely knows what she's talking about – and she's even give you evidence in the form of the instructions. Smiley What you've encountered is, unfortunately, one of a number of CSC agents who give out incorrect information.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Watch out rep Mand's enforcer is on its way
teacher
Dabbler

Hi Mand forgot to ask is there any hidden charges if I follow your instructions e.g is there a charge for receiving text messages?
johpal
Grafter

PN Home Phone lines do support sending/receiving SMS text messages (mine does, anyway). Cost to send a message is around 10p; no charge to receive. Why don't you try it and see? Mand's instructions look simple and comprehensive.
teacher
Dabbler

;)Thanks Mand I have followed your instructions!  The message when I rung the number to change it so I can receive texts was from BT tho does that matter? Also my 1571 function has been removed which was really quick as I only did it yesterday so hopefully my answering machine will work now!!
Thanks again everyone for your help it is greatly appreciated Grin