Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone: when to order

AJL0610
Dabbler

Home phone: when to order

Hi All,
I'm currently with Plusnet for broadband and BT for phone. I'm planning to move to fibre and thinking of bringing across my phone at the same time to save a few pennies on the line rental.
What I'm trying to figure out is when would be best to do it. My line rental saver with BT runs out on 14/9 so I don't want the phone to move before that and end up wasting money. Conversely I would like to move to fibre asap and we're also going on holiday for a couple of weeks from early October.
If I'm reading it correctly the phone switch usually takes 2-3 weeks but there are mentions in other posts of delays due to bad weather, lots of house moves etc. so can anyone say how long it's likely to take? Is the wait time similar for FTTC setup or could I get that done sooner? Are the two linked i.e. do I have to wait until the phone transfer's done before getting fibre or do the two parts proceed completely separately?
Any guidance would be much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Home phone: when to order

This isn't the official "party line" but I have seen enough problems with mixing up a fibre order and a phone order/transfer that I would recommend getting the fibre order in as soon as possible and then do the phone once it is working separating the fibre and phone transfer
Edited - I forgot about the free installation  Embarrassed
AJL0610
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
I would recommend getting the fibre order in as soon as possible and then do the phone once it is working

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought that in order to get free fibre installation I had to order them both together. Hence my original convoluted question. Is that not the case?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I forgot about that - you are right - so unless you really need fibre immediately I would order the phone first and the fibre afterwards