cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone unable to receive calls?

j_horgan

Home phone unable to receive calls?

We're unable to receive phone calls on our home phone, it either cuts out when trying to dial or seems like it's connected to start ringing but then immediately drops. We can make outbound calls fine.

I'm not sure how long the problem has been going on for, we switched to Plusnet last year but haven't tried to connect a home phone till now so unsure if it's always been this way or a new problem! Not sure if it could be the porting issue some people seem to have had?

We're trying with a corded phone plugged into the master socket. No call features set up.

We had a new master socket installed ~1 month ago and our broadband works fine. I don't want to call out an engineer and be charged when they were only here so recently...

Any tips/suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Home phone unable to receive calls?

I keep a corded phone handy for power cuts; it works from the master socket, but not from our single extension, don't know why. Broadband has always been fine. To eliminate similar in-house factors, suggest you plug your corded phone into the test socket behind the cover of the master socket (remove two screws and carefully remove the front cover, and you'll see the test socket behind it).

If your phone still doesn't work, it's either a faulty phone or a problem with your outside line. By the way, the newer master sockets have a built-in microfilter so you no longer have to plug one of these into your phone line.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

@j_horgan 

Welcome to the Forum. I agree with the advice from @Longliner but, if plunging into the master socket doesn't solve your problem, there is one other thing to try before you buy a new phone. That is running the Phone Troubleshooter. It will do a line check. https://www.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter/ (You will be asked to log in.)

If it does find a fault, there is your solution. Don't worry if it says that it has failed as the test can be a bit iffy and may still raise a fault. Check in your account for tickets; any ticket generated can be found here Tickets

Please let us know how you get on.

Lotuslist

I have the same problem as this. Incoming calls drop after one ring although dialling out is fine. I have tried two different phones in the master socket test socket and they work fine, both receiving incoming calls. However, if I leave the line plugged into the test socket then I have no internet access (it's a BT Openreach socket into which both the phone line and router are plugged). I have raised with with Plusnet but had no response. The phone line belongs to my elderly mother and it is essential we are able to call her, especially during these times. Any ideas?

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@Lotuslist 

If two different phones work properly from the test socket, and if you've tried the Phone Troubleshooter as BrightonRock suggests, the front cover assembly may be faulty. Is there an extension line from the front cover to elsewhere in the house, which is of course disconnected when the assembly is removed? If so try disconnecting this. The front cover has a built-in microfilter so you don't need to plug in a separate filter, I've known senior surfers to do this ... I hasten to add I'm one myself 🙄