Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone not ringing

FIXED
rvw88
Dabbler

Re: Home phone not ringing

Thank you all for your efforts.

It's nice to know that should a problem arise there is help on hand.

Very refreshing after having to deal  with Virgin for years

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

To be clear, so far there have only been other customers responding on this topic.

I’ve requested input from a staff member on the completion of the number port away from Virgin when that service ceases. There is still an opportunity for this to go wrong.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrisdavison707

Interesting thread as I have EXACTLY the same issue - Virgin to Plusnet migration and no incoming calls.   Did the OP ever get this issue resolved?   If so, an update would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forums.

This does seem to be a characteristic of migrating away from VM.  Migrating from VM is not like migrating from one CP/ISP to another CP/ISP on the BT Openreach local network.  When you migrate, you start with the new provider and cease with the old provider at one and the same time assuming nothing goes wrong.

When you migrate from VM to a provider on the BT Network, things a a bit different...

1. The gaining provider dose not terminate the service with VM - you have to do that
  2. When the BT Line is setup, it is allocated your existing VM number
  3. You can dial out on that line and called parties will see the call as coming from your number
  4. HOWEVER inbound calls are routed to the VM line until service with VM is ceased

So until the service is terminated with VM you need to have a handset connected to each line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rvw88
Dabbler

Hi again all you locked in people.

The saga has gone on with VM for months now.

It turned out that someone in VM decided to sign me up for a new home phone service.

I even had threatening emails telling me to pay my account.😮

After many (ignored) letters to VM I told them I was escalating to the Ombudsman and asked them for a deadlock letter.

That stirred something up in the VM murky pond as I got a letter from them asking me to contact their  AI system by phone text.😲

Yep, you guessed it, a complete waste of waste of time.

Again more letters and more rubbish from them.

Latest letter recived yesterday, dated 4th August from Customer Services Director, Rachel Barrass

This also offering to  set things right.

I won't be holding my breath.

Still, it gave me something to do in the lockdown😂

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@rvw88 That's awful. 😕

Hope the saga has a happy ending eventually - do let us know.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It really does not help that there is no inside-the-industry joined up process for migrating away from VM. It ought not to be possible for the same number to be attached to two different lines.