cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone not ringing when landline to landline calls.Just hear beep.

nells2011

Home phone not ringing when landline to landline calls.Just hear beep.

Had a broadband fault which engineer fixed. Since then whenever a landline number calls home phone there's no ring only faint beep. Mobile calls to same home phone phone the phone rings loud and clear.

Phone was working before engineer visit. Only other change was a new router set up.

Checked all equipment. Including lifeline. Rung Plusnet who suggest new phone.

Anybody got other solutions.

9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Home phone not ringing when landline to landline calls.Just hear beep.

@nells2011  Welcome to the forum.

What did the engineer do? Did he fit you a filtered faceplate? If so you are aware that you should no longer use the plug in filters?

If you have got a new filtered faceplate the other thing to try is to take the front off. The latest type just clip on, you need to remove two screws on the older type. In behind you will find the test socket. Plug your phone in here and see if it works.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

nells2011

Hi.

New socket master socket 5c.

Took faceplate off as suggestion and plug phone in. its works.

Thanks.

Only now where do you connect up asdl if not to use microfilters?

Thanks in advance.

nells2011

Ps. Only one socket combined phone and broadband socket available on this 5c. thanks again

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@nells2011  sounds you've got one like this NTE5Cfront.jpgis that correct ?

In which case you still need to use filters.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@nells2011 

Ah I assumed that you had one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/Openreach-Telephone-Master-Socket-Faceplate/dp/B07NX2KC8Y/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpi...

Your choices are either to buy one and throw away the back box or use filters. If it's not working with your current set up with filters then you either have a suspect face plate or there is something wrong with your internal extension cables or the filter.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Is the speach on the landline loud and clear?
Is it "just" the phone not ringing?
If it works plugged into the test socket then this suggests that the phone socket is either faulty or not wired up correctly.
Have you any phone extentions? Disconnect them in turn to see which it is.
Polarity (also known as tip and ring) used to matter. There were some modem back in the dial-up (stone) age that would only work if polarity was correct. It was quite common to re-wire sockets to fix that.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@nells2011 I wonder, was the phone not ringing when plugged into an extension socket (without a filter) ?

That would make sense, if only two wires have been used on the extension, which is likely, then you'd need a filter to regenerate the ring for some types of phone.  Putting the filter(s) back should fix the problem. You would have expected the Openreach engineer  to have fitted a Mk4 filtered faceplate as @Baldrick1 assumed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I've just googled 5C sockets.
There are several different types
One with just a phone socket (external filter required on all extention sockets)
And 2 with built in filters and seperate modem sockets. One for adsl and one for fibre.
In both cases extentions are wired in such a way that removing the front isolates your house wiring. So, I would check all the extentions. I seem to remember that two wires crossed over results in no ring.
And yes ....... missing filters will stop a phone ringing. If the modem drops out when the phone rings thats also a sign of a missing filter..... but some phones are fine. Patience and methodical testing required!!
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi there @nells2011 I understand that the Welfare Team are aware of this and are working on this to get resolved. They'll update you on the open fault on your account.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team