cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone features

briron

Home phone features

Hi all, I'm totally new to the forum ???, and would appreciate it if someone could tell me how the Voice-mail feature on the home phone differs from an answering machine that is built into the phone? ( I'm not talking about the Voice-mail Extra)
Many thanks Briron
4 REPLIES 4
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Home phone features

Hi, and welcome to the forum brironSmiley
Essentially the difference is that the voicemail feature is a 'virtual' answering service, being contained within the exchange software. It's accessed with the dialling code '1571', and is often referred to as the '1571 service'.
If you don't answer an incoming call, voicemail will answer after seven rings, and the caller will be charged, whether or not they leave a message. If the line is engaged, the caller will hear a message saying you're on a call, and again will be charged whether or not they leave a message.
Unlike Voicemail Extra, which also allows you to record a personal greeting, the system will not call you back if a message is received while the line is engaged. You will only know that a message is waiting if you pick up the phone and hear the 'stuttered' dial tone - or - there are phones which will automatically periodically check for stuttered dial tone and indicate with a light that a message is waiting.
The other main difference that springs to mind is that an answering machine can be switched on or off at will, whereas with 1571 it's a case of accessing the Plusnet member centre and requesting activation or de-activation, which I imagine will take a day or two.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Basically, if you have an answering machine then stick to that.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: 4C
The other main difference that springs to mind is that an answering machine can be switched on or off at will, whereas with 1571 it's a case of accessing the Plusnet member centre and requesting activation or de-activation, which I imagine will take a day or two.
It takes 3 working days
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105364.0.html
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As has been pointed out, if you are on the phone (or someone else is leaving a message) a caller will get charged. They don't get the engaged tone so the other disadvantage of 1571 is if anyone needs to get hold off you urgently but where it wouldn't be inappropriate to leave a message or for you to call them back, they don't have the option of using the ring when free option, or if they continue to try they get charged everytime until your line is free (assuming the call isn't within any inclusive minutes).