cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone fault, no dialling tone, cannot transmit / receive but broadband still working

FIXED
uplander
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Home phone fault, no dialling tone, cannot transmit / receive but broadband still working

Hi All,

An old guy here, on plus.net since 2012 but newby on here, p'raps somebody can help.please.

The telephone handset will not give me a dialling tone.  Have tried an alternative handset - same story.  Cannot receive calls either.  Spoke to plusnet technician yesterday,  he checked and agreed that there was a fault on the "line".  He passed it on to bt open reach .  Today he tells me that the fault will not be fixed for four days at least.  Is this usual.  I am in a small town on Scottish coast half a mile in direct sight of telephone exchange.....Any ideas ?  Peter

4 REPLIES 4
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Home phone fault, no dialling tone, cannot transmit / receive but broadband still working

It's the time it takes to get an Openreach engineer to come and look at the phone line, I don't think Plusnet have much influence over when the earliest they can get someone to come and look at it. It largely depends on how busy they are in your area.

uplander
Hooked

Re: Home phone fault, no dialling tone, cannot transmit / receive but broadband still working

Yes, thanks for that mike; i am maybe too impatient waiting, but other people in family want to chat with each other😀Peter
uplander
Hooked

Fix
BT Openreach technicians spent six hours on this job. Underground cable fault which was in flooded section of duct under main road. Sorted, but no guarantee on cable survival. BT have reqested an overhead cable alternative but its expensive and unsightly. Little chance in current climate. Thanks all for your interest ☺ uplander
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Peter,

Happy to hear the fault you've experienced was rectified swiftly

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet