cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone & fibre broadband

petermaughan
Grafter

Home phone & fibre broadband

If I converted to fibre broadband my copper wires would go to the green cabinet in the street. 
So what would happen to my analogue home phone calls?  Would they also come from the green cabinet and would the sound quality improve as a consequence?  Or perhaps it would get worse if the path traveled was more complicated.
Peter
5 REPLIES 5
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Home phone & fibre broadband

Hi there,
The phone line stays the same (copper from the exchange to your premises), it's just the fibre that is sent down the new connection so there shouldn't be any change to the phone service.
petermaughan
Grafter

Thanks, Matt.
So that implies that I will end up with two copper pairs coming into my flat, one for the analogue telephone from the exchange and one for the broadband from the green fibre cabinet in the street.  How will they route the second pair?  The existing pair comes in through the concrete floor of the flat somehow.  Will I need extra cabling mounted externally?
Frankly, I had thought that it would all come in through the existing copper pair, as now.
Peter
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies - the fibre service joins the existing copper wires at the cab, so the engineer will just fit a new master socket with a fibre faceplate (and the extension kit and socket, if having the router at the master socket won't work) so there'll be no need to have new wiring fitted. Sorry about the confusion there.
petermaughan
Grafter

Thanks, Matt.
It's a pity it works like that.  I was really hoping that the home phone voice calls would come down the fibre to the cabinet with the broadband, so that I might get some improvement in the quality of voice calls.  But from what you say the route of my home phone voice calls will have to be extended via the cabinet and this may result in a further degradation of my already low quality analogue voice calls.  I think I'll avoid fibre for that reason.
Peter
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm not sure what you mean?
On ADSL, the phone and broadband services are joined and sent down the same twisted copper pair to your local cabinet and from there to your premises.
With fibre, the phone travels exactly as it always has - down the copper pair from the exchange, to the cab, and then to your premises. However instead of the broadband joining the line at the exchange, it joins it at the cabinet.
There'll be no change at all to your phone line quality if you do go for fibre Smiley