cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone without Broadband?

hheath

Home Phone without Broadband?

Hi - I currently have Broadband and Home Phone packages but want to switch to another broadband provider.  I always understood that meant I would then lose my PlusNet Home Phone package too, but just read a post in this forum that says that is no longer the case, you can now have Home Phone without having a PlusNet broadband package.  However, I then went to the PlusNet Products page for Home Phone, and it states quite clearly that you HAVE to have broadband with PlusNet to have the Home Phone package ... !
So which is right please?  Can I cancel my broadband but retain my Home Phone?  Or do I have to quit PlusNet altogether if I want to move my broadband?
thanks ...
14 REPLIES 14
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Home Phone without Broadband?

You can cancel the broadband but keep the home phone if you wish. It's true that you can't sign up for home phone if you don't have (or aren't ordering) broadband at the same time, but you can move the broadband away and keep the phone. Just advise the cancellations team when you talk to them.
Mark
Grafter

Just to add to what Matt has posted.
We never like to lose a customer in any way and I wondered what has prompted your move of ADSL provider? Is there anything we can do to keep your custom?
I'd certainly love a shot at it Smiley

hheath

Hi Mark - Well, I replied back to the support question I had already raised asking about cancelling with this too,  but basically it's down to cost.  I'm absolutely happy with the service I've got from PlusNet but I can get an equivalent service for quite a lot less money at the moment.  I'm an O2 customer, and I can get the same broadband package I have with PlusNet for £7.50 a month - actually, since the Quidco cashback site is offering £60 cashback on this service, I will end up with the broadband service (equivalent to what I'm already getting from PlusNet, no downgrade in service at all) for £2.50 a month.  If I can drop my PlusNet Home Phone package from the current £15.00 a month to the Evening and Weekend package of £9.99 (in which case I'll keep Home Phone with PlusNet), then I will end up paying £11.49 for what I'm currently paying £27.80+ each month to PlusNet ... and that's quite a big difference to me!
So ... unless PlusNet can drop the charge of my existing broadband package to £2.50 a month (without actually changing the level of service I already have!) as well as allowing me to keep Home Phone without Broadband AND drop my Home Phone package to £9.99 a month, then I doubt very much there's a way to keep me a PlusNet Broadband customer, sorry ...
hheath

I just had an update on my support question, and I'm told PlusNet will not allow me to downgrade my Home Phone package to Evenings & Weekends since I had a special offer when I originally took out my Home Phone package.  So I guess I won't be staying with PlusNet for anything then, that's a pity!
techguy
Grafter

Good luck but be careful and  dont try to claim on Be\O2's money back guarantee if you are unhappy, it isn't worth the disk space its stored on and the broadband division (O2 mobile customer myself and never had an issue with them, always polite and helpful) will lie through their teeth about processing your refund and ask you to send in your bank statements to some guy in a call centre in Leeds.
For the record I left because my connection became extremely unstable when I moved to them but the way they handled matters when I wanted to leave  dissuaded me from ever doing business with them again, even if they were giving the broadband away.
Out of all the ISPs I have used, Plusnet are the best in terms of service (from a technical standpoint as well as customer service) and price.
coastergrotto
Grafter

techguy:
Amen to that.    Totally agree.  It would take an awful lot to persuade me to leave PlusNet.
James
Grafter

Hi Hheath,
That's almost true.  When you signed up, you signed up under a fixed term contract of 12 months.
That's the reason why you weren't being allowed to change product - not just because you took a special offer.
hheath

Sure, I understand that, which is why my original support question was what will you charge me to terminate my contract - and I was told, in writing, that there would be no charge, no fees at all.  I am NOW being told by a different customer service agent that that is incorrect, that I am going to be charged £90 .... !!!  I am *extremely* unhappy ... I was told there would be no charge - I have it in writing! -  now I'm being told that's wrong, and that you are going to charge me - heavily! - after all.  This more than anything else has made me absolutely determined to leave PlusNet ... sorry chaps, but what kind of Customer service is that?!  It's this kind of bad service that makes a person never have anything to do with a company again, and to make sure that everyone in their sphere of influence also knows not to ... it's no good saying "oh I'm sorry, you were told incorrect information" - a company should stick by what a customer is told, not then change it a day later!
I am very, very annoyed ...
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm not surprised, that's not good. I'll take a look at the account for you and see if there's anything I can do for you - it definitely sounds like some training is needed there.
hheath

Thanks Matt ... I'll hold off replying to the support question then until I've heard from you.  I had to stop myself sending an extremely angry retort, it isn't fair to take it out on the chap who reported the fact that now I have to pay a large charge after all as presumably he's just following what he's told ... but then, one assumes that the support chap who told me there would be no charge was *also* following what he was told .....
Not amused ..
geewizz
Grafter

Isn't it common sense to understand that if you are on a 12 month contract then you will have to pay the full 12 months, or at least some form of release charge, if you wish to terminate the contract early?
Could it be that the wording of the question was ambiguous? Is it possible that there IS no charge for terminating the contract early and that you just need to pay the balance of the agreed 12 monthly installments?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's not quite that simple in this case - there's confusion over whether there's charges for the home phone or the broadband or both or none. I was hoping to ring hheath to discuss it and have just PMd to make sure it's alright to do so, but will advise what's happened here in any case (transparency RULES!)
hheath

Common sense for sure, IF you remember a) that there was a 12 month contract, and b) how long it's been since you signed up!  I am (as I know so many others are these days) hellishly busy almost 24 hours a day 7 days a week ... I lose track of these things, which is exactly why I put the question to the support desk in the first place.  And no, there was no ambiguity whatsoever in my question - I am an IT professional of many years, 99% of which has been in Customer service ... I know how to word a question so that there is minimal room for misunderstandings.
geewizz
Grafter

Thanks for that update Obrey Smiley
I'll take my nose out of this in the meantime. I hope it can be worked out and that hheath finds a way to stay with Plusnet.