cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone price increase

coastergrotto
Grafter

Re: Home Phone price increase

Current daytime calls are priced at 2.94p now they will be rising to a whopping 4.25p if you are on the Evenings and Weekend tariffs plus an 8p set up fee.
You have to click on Tariffs to find this, none of this is displayed on the front page of the Community Site.    As if these increases aren't enough they are pushing up the price from £9.65 to £10.95 all this when the country is in recession.  A double whammy!!!
Fortunately I refuse to use my phone in the daytime and will definitely continue this practice.    It will then be cheaper to ring an 0845 number than a geographical one.
Certainly a none too happy Home Phone customer.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: adiewoo
Guess that depends on how many 0845/0870 calls you make too within your free hours - for me it makes it a reasonable saving not just pence.
For me that isn't really a factor but the costs to mobiles is - increased to 12.5p/7.5p whereas on BT  it is 7p at any time of the day as the friends and family mobile is free from the 1st April
baldrick
Grafter

I guess this is another example of the DEflation we keep being told about!
Sad Cry
grahamt
Rising Star

It was an announcement just like today's that persuaded me to move my phone service from BT to Plusnet recently. BT highlighted a couple of things that were being reduced and downplayed a lot of other things that were being increased. I guess it just goes to show that all the talk about the benefits of competition, choice, switching, etc., don't make much difference in the long run. As with the broadband 'product refresh' just a short while ago, it's the users who are pointing out the real implications of the changes.
I make more short calls than long ones, so the increase in the call setup price, plus the tariff increases in the most commonly-used categories, will make a difference. A couple of examples, for daytime calls of under a minute on the Evening and Weekend tariff (yes I know there are many other kinds of call, but is what I'm doing any more selective than what Plusnet have done in their announcement?):
Geographic: now 4.4+2.94=7.34p, soon 8+4.5=12.5p. 70% increase
0845: now 4.4+1.96=6.36p, soon 8+2=10p. 57% increase
0870: now 4.4+5.87=10.27p, soon 8+6=14p. 36% increase
Mobile (except for calls to 3, which have got cheaper): now 4.4+9.54=13.94, soon 8+12.5=20.5p. 47% increase
The quality of Plusnet's support is what still makes it stand out for me, but the marketing policy has now twice in the last few months been a major disappointment. I repeat what I said about the broadband changes: it's not that Plusnet's now a lot worse than other providers, it's just that it used to be better.

wanderyonder
Grafter

I'm on the Home Phone Evening & Weekend package.  The element of this announcement is not clear for the inclusive 300 minutes of calls to 20 top international destinations.
Is this just for dialling to landlines (and US & Canada mobiles) within these destinations? Or is it for dialling to any landlines or mobiles at any of these destinations?
Thanks.
chrisc
Aspiring Pro

Hi Wanderyonder,
The 300 minutes is for international landline calls to the top 20 destinations, apart from the US and Canada where mobile calls are also included.
Hope this helps.
Laroc
Grafter

I have been pondering all day as to whether I should change to PN from BT as my current contract expires at midnight tonight.
Very little in the pricing, I tossed a coin and decided to go ahead and change - that was until I switched on the PC and found the PN announcement on Ispreview.

With BT, I am getting line rental at £11.25 with a call display and 0845/0870 calls for free.
Now with the PN increase it makes no financial sense for me to change supplier.
To think I was a phone call away from changing tonight - PN you just lost a customer in an instant.
Javert
Grafter

Well, I was certainly taken aback with your new charges for Home Phone – especially as I had taken a few months to get my neighbour to join PlusNet to save some money – and now seemingly (though I haven’t researched it fully) the “savings”  have virtually gone.  He is not very happy – and for that matter neither am I.  I am in the midst of comparing your costs + any benefits with other suppliers and I doubt I’ll be with you much longer for the phone.  It was also interesting to note that the increase in call charges was not mentioned in the announcement email, nor in the announcement headed “New Home Phone Products”, but only found by digging around.
Last year I was determined to leave BT – and was delighted to achieve it late last year.  Now it looks as though I could be going back there.
It’s quite surprising how one’s high opinion of a company over a period of months can suddenly fall in the space of two or three weeks.  Ah well, such is life – so back to compiling the comparison tables!
coastergrotto
Grafter

I think that the free 0845/0870 numbers offered by BT (admittedly only evenings and weekends) for 30p for month over the Plusnet deal suits me more than 300 minutes per month of International Calls.  I could well be changing.  Very disappointed indeed with these revised charges.
Galdere
Grafter

How do PN justify the big increases with call PPM and setup costs?
OK the package price increases cos of Openreach changes.
But hiding price increases away is another sign of the bad changes at PN.
Can a PN poster give us an answer about the reasons for that please?
amateur1
Dabbler

Well, now I have decided!
  I have been holding off signing up with BT for their 12 months contract, as was considering a move to Plusnet phone, but now it seems that BT is my best option.
BT have just raised their prices but now so have PN.  Like some others here I have no interest in international or mobile numbers, the free 0845 and caller display etc, are of more use.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Jameseh
Yes, it will change on your first billing date after the 30 days notice period has expired.
You're looking for http://community.plus.net
James,
Can you clarify this as i am a bit confused (old age  :-[)
Is the 30 day notice period the period of warning about the new charges and does it start on receipt of the email advising of the changes
If so typically the charges won't come into effect until between 30 days and 60 days from the email.
As the call charges are for calls in the previous month but the basic cost is paid in advance do the changes happen in two stages
James
Grafter

Jim,
You will not be moved onto the new product until your first billing date after the 30 day notice period.  The email will also tell you when this will happen.
Until that point, all the current charges and prices will remain.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thanks James but one thing needs to be clarified I think.
Let us assume the first billing date is 1 day after the notice period.
On that date you will be charged the new subscription etc. which is paid in advance but you will also be charged for any calls you made during most of the notice period - will these be at the new rate or the old rate. I assume the old rate otherwise the on line itemised bill won't match the final bill.
mal0z
Grafter

I've tried reading the relevant pages - but still not sure if the inclusive 300 minutes of calls applies to calls to Poland ?.
I thought it might be as you have several Polish staff ?Huh