cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone price increase

coastergrotto
Grafter

Home Phone price increase

I have just received an email from Plusnet detailing the increase in the Home Phone price as from 21st May.   This was expected but dangling a carrot of 300 free minutes of International Calls, plus free calls to Plusnet Support, none of which I ever make, does not make up for an increase in line rental from £9.65 to £10.95 per month for Plusnet Evenings and Weekends as far as I'm concerned.     This will further rise when the VAT is raised to 17.5% in December.
I can speak to my friends in Canada for free using Skype to Skype and using a webcam can see them also.
138 REPLIES 138
James
Grafter

Re: Home Phone price increase

Hiya,
This is also the main newspiece on the Community Site - In case you hadn't seen it.
We've also made Voicemail free and we've reduced the cost of Caller Display to 99p, which you may benefit from.  You'd be able to call your friends in Canada for free on Home Phone now too.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It says 2009-06-04 on my email so which is the correct date? I wish they would put the date in the correct UK order dd/mm/yyyy.
coastergrotto
Grafter

I assume it depends on your billing date so it's tailored to increase on that date.
coastergrotto
Grafter

@Jameseh:
I must be looking in the wrong place then because I can'r see it.  Can you provide a linK?
James
Grafter

Yes, it will change on your first billing date after the 30 days notice period has expired.
You're looking for http://community.plus.net
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Got the same email.
Just out of interest, is there anyone cheaper out there?
I barely use my home phone so the less it costs the better.
glloyd
Rising Star

No mention of the increase of set up price from 4.5p to 8p in the email. Can't see any advantage of PlusNet home phone now. In fact it looks more expensive than BT now.  Not a good move PlusNet Angry
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

According to Uswitch, all of the companies in my area are around £10 for line rental.
<shakes fists>
Damn you Plusnet
coastergrotto
Grafter

Maybe it's a case of wait until you have a decent customer base and then whack in the increases but throw in a few carrots to help offset the charges.  Shall definitely try to use up my free International quota when the new charges kick in.
glloyd
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
Hiya,
This is also the main newspiece on the Community Site - In case you hadn't seen it.
We've also made Voicemail free and we've reduced the cost of Caller Display to 99p, which you may benefit from.  You'd be able to call your friends in Canada for free on Home Phone now too.

And put the others such as caller divert up from £1.47 to £2.50, 70% increase. Those prices rises can't be justified.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Quote from: mrmarkus1981
Just out of interest, is there anyone cheaper out there?

Well there's always BT  Wink I am still with them on E&W calls with included caller ID FREE, so it is now cheaper than plusnet's offering Lips_are_sealed I looked at moving when I joined a couple of months ago, but the cost difference was about 36p/year then and is now NEGATIVE so I will be signing up for another 12 months E&W free
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I moved to Plusnet phone some time ago and I was very pleased with the service.
The question is whether the small extra cost is worth it when you are on a 30 day contract as opposed to a rolling 12 month contract
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Guess that depends on how many 0845/0870 calls you make too within your free hours - for me it makes it a reasonable saving not just pence.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

Hiya,
If you have a look around the other suppliers this month, you’ll see that a number of the big suppliers have increased their prices.  BT and TalkTalk now charge £11.25 line rental, the Post Office charge £11.75 and Tiscali charge £10.99.
We strongly believe that this Product Refresh allows us to remain competitive within the industry, whilst also taking into account the increases in pricing from OpenReach.
We have also removed the charge of £38.85 to reactivate a discontinued telephone line.  We’ll now be doing these for free. 
As we’ve mentioned and has been mentioned in this thread, we have reduced the cost of Caller Display and Voicemail is now free – which a large number of our customers use.  We’ve also listened to our customers who have asked us to remove the setup fee on included calls, offered free calls to our call centre if you have a phone service with us and we’ve reduced the cost of mobile calls by 25% for our Anytime call plan.
I understand that no-one likes a price increase, but we’ve added in a few extras which we feel will keep our WLR services competitive and attractive for both new and existing customers.
James