Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone mysteriously cancelled

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Home Phone mysteriously cancelled

I am much aggrieved that my Plusnet Home Phone has been mysteriously cancelled!!
On 4 September I received an email from Plusnet (Service Notice #171018366), expressing sorrow that I was leaving, and asking that I call you on 0330 123 0178 if I wished to discuss the matter. I did call, within a couple of hours, as I have never had any intention to leave Plusnet, and have had no contact with any other provider.
Your agent could not offer any reason for the email, and said that there was no cancellation order in progress. He also indicated that he would keep an eye on the situation, and make notes that my service should NOT be cancelled (Question #74074507).
I am away from home until Friday 27 Sep evening, so the only reason I knew it HAD been cancelled is that I’ve received two emails regarding call charges and a refund. On checking the Member Centre, Service Notice #172669537 informs me that:
This question is confirmation that your Talk Anytime International 300 contract has been written off.
Reason: WLR migration initiated with another service provider

Obviously I am extremely annoyed about this, especially after your agent's assurances.
I'm wondering whether I'll return home tomorrow to a working line, and if so, with whom?
I would appreciate some reassurance that my line will very shortly be restored to a Plusnet service, with the original number and tariff.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
7 REPLIES 7
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Home Phone mysteriously cancelled

How strange - I wonder if you may have been "slammed" or similar by another telco.
Watching this one with interest - hope you get it sorted  Shocked
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Apparently it is very easy for a telco to miss key the telephone number to be moved and there's nothing in the system to stop it going ahead.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@ picbits  You may well be right, Dom. Thanks for your support.  Smiley
I would of course contact the new telco, if only I knew who it was. Plusnet couldn't tell me - in fact when I phoned on 4 Sep the agent denied all knowledge of ANY order/cancellation/transfer.
@ jelv  That thought had occurred to me too.
If, as you say, there is nothing in the system to stop it going ahead, it would suggest that Plusnet are being somewhat disingenuous when they say in their "sorry to lose you" email of 4 Sep -
If you wish to cancel this order, please contact us at least 3 working days before it's due to complete to allow us enough time to stop the order for you.

As mentioned in the OP, I phoned the CSC within two hours, and was assured there was nothing to worry about.
Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@4C
Unfortunately the house moves team failed to cease your old line when they started your new line almost a year ago. A couple of weeks ago the new occupier of your old property placed an order to put the line into their name. Our system found the last owner of the line on our systems (you) and kicked off the cancellation process, even though the old line was no longer the active number on your account.
Yes, this is stupid, for a number of reasons 😕 I raised a problem on the incorrect cancellation process a while ago, I'll see if I can dig out the reference later today.
I've re-activated your phone which takes a pro-rata activation fee of £9.31. Unfortunately I can't stop this from being generated, even though you've already paid for this month's phone service. As such, I've refunded £9.31 from an old invoice, hopefully they hit your account on the same day.
picbits
Rising Star

Hmmm a Plusnet cockup.
On the plus side at least you know what it is and they have been honest about it. I'd rather have a company cock things up and be honest about it than some of the others I've dealt with who have hidden and lied about it.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Indeed, picbits, I shudder to think how I'd have fared in similar circumstances with certain other ISPs.
@ Ben Trimble  Many thanks for your quick response, Ben. All appears well now I've returned home.
Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem at all Smiley