Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone into Router

markgolledge
Hooked

Home Phone into Router

Hi All,

I've had a few problems recently with my cordless Gigaset phone (which I think is a phone rather than line issue - I'm getting a background fuzz when calling but also when people phone the Gigaset phone just switches itself off. 

Before I replace the phone I was wondering whether it's possible to start plugging a home phone directly into the router and going for voice over IP rather than through the traditional analogue line? Has anyone done this and are there any phones which are compatible with the Plusnet routers?

I'm currently using the Plusnet Hub One (Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 | Last updated 14/08/17) using the full fibre package.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Home Phone into Router

Hi @markgolledge,

I've tested your phone line this evening and haven't been able to detect any faults with the line itself, which does suggest the phone handset itself may be at fault. Before you buy a new phone, it may be worth seeing if you're able to temporarily borrow a spare handset from a neighbour or friend to see if the issue still persists - if it does, pleas let us know so that we may investigate further.

Regarding plugging a phone into the router, I'm afraid this isn't something that we are able to support, however other community forum members who see this thread may be able to offer suggestions.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
markgolledge
Hooked

Re: Home Phone into Router

Many thanks for the response @TheMightyAJ

Very helpful to know there aren't problems on the line and yes, we'll try and borrow a temporary phone to double check.

Would certainly be interested in thoughts from other forum users about voice over the internet - particularly since we're moving towards BT closing down the copper network by 2025 so presumably this is a direction we should be heading towards anyway?