cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone audio quality

Laser
Grafter

Home Phone audio quality

Having followed the thread about override providers here, I started to look up the possibility of using something like it on my BT line (never really heard of the facility before). While they are unquestionably cheap, several consumer forums have complaints that the call quality is very poor at times, even suggestions that domestic calls get routed via foreign carriers, introducing lags and messing up caller ID facilities.
Since PlusNet is effectively acting as A.N.Other provider, but with CPS, I wonder if the Home Phone experience suffers from the same issues? Whilst I'm not currently a customer, I was considering moving to Home Phone as soon as my poxy 12-month contract with BT expires next year.
5 REPLIES 5
mal0z
Grafter

Re: Home Phone audio quality

Given that the local loop is probably the lowest level audio circuit - and once the circuit gets to the local exchange it will be encoded as a digital signal, and added to the multiplexed signal to the nearest main exchange - I don't see how other providers will give a better quality call ???.
The local loop - being the two wire cable between the subscriber and the local exchange - with all it's many connections through junction boxes etc - that can cause the same problems as it does to the Broadband ADSL signal..

Laser
Grafter

Exactly what I would have thought, except there are several complaints and discussions about moving between various alternative prefix-dial-based providers as the perceived quality gets too bad on a regular basis with any given one. It seems bonkers to me that a provider may find it cheaper to route anything but the shortest direct connection, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.  Roll_eyes
paulby
Grafter

@Laser
Home Phone doesn't suffer from the issues you mention.  It's provided over the BT Network using Openreach's "Wholesale Line Rental"(WLR) product and BT Wholesale's Wholesale Calls. This is exactly the same as BT retail (they have to use WLR3 under Ofcom's regulations to ensure a level playing field).
I am a Home Phone customer BTW.
Not applicable

Have used two of the override numbers in the past. Also, several of my friends have also used it via a third number. Have noticed no difference in call quality and have had no complaints of this from my friends. One friend did used to have difficulties connecting sometimes and eventually gave it up and went back to BT for calls.
Just a few comments from my experience:
- It is a bit of a pain having to dial the prefix number+area code+telephone number.
- It is another bill to pay and you can only do this by direct debit.
- Your call charge starts from the moment their voice announce kicks in to tell you that you are connected. If the line is engaged you are still charged the 5p even though you are not connected to the person you are calling.
I now use PN Anytime+ and am paying roughly the same (might be a £1 per month over) than I was when using the override numbers.
However, this is worth paying for due to the convenience of the one bill and ease of use.
Laser
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. Looks like the Home Phone is a good option. 95% of my calls are evening/weekend.
Smiley