Home Phone and PN rip off calls

James
Grafter

Re: Home Phone and PN rip off calls

Ah, fair point Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

You could do what my ex-girlfriends parents did when she ran up a large bill.
They took apart her phone and removed all the keys from the keypad leaving the "9" key in case she needed to make an emergency call. She could still receive calls, just not make them.
It worked a treat .....
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Grin Grin Grin Nice one. She obviously didn't know the technique for beating the old 4d boxes, which would still work  Wink
picbits
Rising Star

tap, tap tap tap, tap, tap tap tap tap ?
Or use your mobile to generate the DTFM and play it through the microphone on the landline ?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Fireant
If i had me own way id get rid of the home phone altogether because for  what i need it for but you got to have it  for broadband .  Angry

So if you have no need for a phone line for out going calls, why not accept Ben's offer to have all outgoing calls (except emergency numbers) blocked as per this post...?
Quote from: Ben
The only option available within our CRM is to block all calls, except 999 & freephone. In addition it is possible to place manual orders to bar:
All calls
Premium calls
Premium & international calls

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

o2refugee
Grafter

It is funny that you should raise this issue as when I had a BT phone I invariably had very small numbers of extra calls on the bills which themselves were small anyway, but I did not usually query them. Having had an O2 LLU phone for a few years my bills were always spot on. I will see if I have any discrepancies now I am back with Plusnet/BT
Fireant
Grafter

yeah even tho they were little as they say  we had bt quite a few years and we had international calls  even tho didnt even know any body abroad  plus other numbers what we didnt reconise and we was sick of it ..
.so we changed to talk talk and we didnt have any numbers we didnt know so was happy but i was paying seperate bills as i didnt want talk talk broadband so i guess no matter what always check your itemised bills from now on if i use phone im writing numbers down and date and time . so i will know if it happends again ...
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: picbits
Or use your mobile to generate the DTFM and play it through the microphone on the landline ?

Use to use inbuilt DTFM diallers on PDA's a lot a few years back. Use to work really well.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As per one of my earlier posts, if anyone has a call appear on their bill which they did not make then it would be investigated as a matter of priority as accurate billing is a cornerstone of regulatory required compliance.
snailspace171
Grafter

What's the point changing providers again?
If it happened with BT and then again with plusnet, then it would suggest someone is somehow tapping into your line, or using it without your knowledge.
You're going to have the same issue with any phone provider you use.
One solution (albeit fairly extreme) is to have all outgoing calls barred on your line, disconnect the phone, and then use a VoIP service for all your incoming and outgoing calls