cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone Paying Via Debit Card not DD

markrach
Grafter

Home Phone Paying Via Debit Card not DD

When trying to bring my home phone over to PN it asks for Direct Debit details , can this be done via just paying via debit card like i do with my BB ?
Mark
14 REPLIES 14
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Home Phone Paying Via Debit Card not DD

I'm pretty sure Plusnet only allow Home Phone to be paid for by Direct Debit.  I'm not sure on the reasoning behind this, but I think it's always been that way.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

coastergrotto
Grafter

That is correct,  Read Answer 14 here
Emma
Grafter

A direct debit gives you more security than using continuous authority, it seems daft to want to use your card rather than DD. No having to worry about cards running out, if a mistake is made you can claim back from the bank etc.
Also its do to with the credit limit that is setup which varies on which produce you take out.
James
Grafter

Use of Direct Debit only reduces the possibility of fraud or failed billing.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Why should it make any difference to fraud or failed billing, DD payments can fail  Shocked .
Whilst DD gives the security of being able to easily cancel (much more difficult to stop a CA on a CC), if you are dealing with a reputable company it shouldn't make any difference.
As regards claiming back on a DD when a mistake is made,  I'm not so sure I would want to do that (except as a last resort) because of the way PN seem to treat such as failed billing, and then you'd get your phone stopped, BB stopped etc. So in practice, I don't see any real difference.
I don't think 'credit limits' are even a significant factor with the maximum typically achievable likely monthly PN bill, so I don't think my carrots or broccoli have any bearing on it  Roll_eyes
itsme
Grafter

When a company is working on small profit margins a DD is a cheaper way to collect money than a CC transaction.
Anotherone
Champion

Not always, depends on which company, which bank and what deal they've negotiated.
itsme
Grafter

As PN only except one form of payment for their telephone service one has to assume that they have chosen the one with the least cost to them.
Anotherone
Champion

And so they lose money on their BB do they?
[CC payment give them greater security as payments get process far quicker (usually hours) ].
James
Grafter

We actually encourage payment on broadband to be via direct debit with the initial fee on a card.
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm  Lips_are_sealed
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

I pay by CC as I get points on it and unlike a lot of other companies there is no incentive to pay by DD.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
markrach
Grafter

Its a bit of a bugger for someone like me who has no bank account (don't ask) , prepaid credit card that my salary gets paid onto then most of my monthly out goings are taken from the card , shame really as i could have done with just one monthly bill for BB and phone , looks like i will have to put up with a quarterly from BT and a monthly from PN  Sad
Anotherone
Champion

You could try sending a PM to James & Mand to see if alternatives are possible, a monthly fee may be payable though.
(PS. Well done for the sig line change  Cool )