cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone Call Blocker

Steambuff48
Hooked

Home Phone Call Blocker

Talk Talk have introduced an amazing Call Blocker called CallSafe. It blocks all nuisance calls and is free. I would like to know when Plusnet are going to offer a similar service. Until hearing about this (my sister has it) I used to recommend Plusnet, but will no longer do so until this feature is available. 

11 REPLIES 11
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Home Phone Call Blocker

Try Plusnet's Call Protect.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Or alternatively keep control yourself by buying a telephone that includes a BT Call Blocker such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Advanced-Cordless-Nuisance-Answering-Black/dp/B0787H2X6Q/ref=dp_ob_title...

I've had an older model for several years now and over that time had no nuisance calls whatsoever.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I assume they just use CLID and block certain numbers.
Sadly that has already been hacked. I’ve had calls from 0123456789012.
You don’t exactly need a Maths degree to realise that is a fake number,
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hi @Steambuff48,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the forums. We do have a call feature called Plusnet call protect that is completely free to help with these pesky calls. You can find out more information on this here, and add this through the Member Centre. 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance. Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Alex wrote:
I assume they just use CLID and block certain numbers.
Sadly that has already been hacked. I’ve had calls from 0123456789012.
You don’t exactly need a Maths degree to realise that is a fake number,

The BT system is different. If the caller is not in your permitted list then the unit answers the call and asks the caller to identify themselves followed by the hash key. It is only after the hash key has been pressed that the phone rings. You are then told who is calling and given four options, answer the call this time, answer and put the caller in the permitted list, transfer the call to the answering machine or permanently block the number. If the hash key is not pressed after the caller is asked a few times the call is dropped and apart from the number appearing in the callers list you have no idea they rang. This thwarts the automatic diallers that the baddies use to the extent that I have never had to add a number to the blocked list.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Steambuff48
Hooked

As far as I can see, Plusnet's version works by setting up calls you want to block. Talk Talk works on the basis that you set up only the numbers of people you know. If anyone else rings then the system asks them to record their name. Most annoyance callers give up at this point. If the caller speaks their name then your phone rings, plays the short recording, and asks if you want to accept. You can accept, reject or block at this point. It offers an almost identical approach to that offered by the BT Advanced Phone except you don't need to buy a special phone.

Steambuff48
Hooked

Well in fact I have one of the BT Advanced phones. It was my sister who was offered the alternative from Talk Talk which doesn't involve buying a new phone

Steambuff48
Hooked

They don't use anything to block numbers. You set up your own personal list of numbers of people you know. If anyone else calls then the system asks them to record their name. Most annoyance callers give up at this point. If the caller records their name, then your phone rings and plays the short message. At this point you can accept the call, reject it or block it. The caller from your fake number almost certainly wouldn't have recorded their name to try to get through.

Steambuff48
Hooked

I think the BT system to which you refer is the 'BT Advanced Phone' - which is what I currently have. The approach offered by Talk Talk is almost identical except that your call list is set up via a web page and you don't need to buy a new phone.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

The problem I have is when CLID is withheld. Usually I would ignore such calls who I don’t know, at the moment I can’t.

I sometimes have to tell them to go away. I feel like doing a far more sweary version of that remark, but the way things are going here of late, I won’t..😬
Steambuff48
Hooked

Hi Alex,

Both the BT Advanced Phone and the Talk Talk CallSafe would resolve your problem with callers withholding their call ID. Both systems would ask the caller to record their name before you receive the call. In my own experience I have had only a single case of such a caller going this far since November 1986 when I installed the BT phone - and of course I didn't accept it!

Cheers