cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone + Broadband

charlesn

Home Phone + Broadband

Hi, I'm new to the Community.
I've been a Metronet user for 2-3 years, and I'm well aware that my monthly payment of £13.45 for my "Metronet PAYGo Option 2 with included 2,097MB bandwidth" has been unnecessarily expensive - but I've been travelling a lot and haven't got around to changing it. But now I'm moving house and plan to switch to a more suitable PlusNet product. I've trawled about on the PN site and I think I understand things but I'm looking for a bit of confirmation before placing my order. Can someone help me evaluate the following:
I would like PN to supply Home Phone plus Broadband. My new home is in a "Low Cost" postal-code area.
Will the cost be:
£14.65 for my line rental + all UK calls to landlines FREE + 300 international minutes FREE?
plus
£5.99 per month for my broadband for 10Gb usage allowance?
Or is there a combined HP + BB product?
Additional question 1:
Is there a way of keeping an eye on my 300 international-minute usage? So that I can switch to something like Call 18866 for the rest of the month?
Additional question 2:
What would be the procedure/situation if we needed a second, separate phone number/line in the same building? Simply twice the £14.65 cost?
Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Home Phone + Broadband

Easy part http://www.plus.net/residential/bundles.shtml
The call usage is shown on the portal with about a couple of hours delay I think
James
Grafter

Hi Charlesn,
I reckon you've got things pretty much spot on there.
A couple things to bear in mind are that the calls to 01, 02, 03 numbers are free if shorter than 60 minutes, and that's 30 minutes on International Calls to our top 20 calling destinations. the broadband is on an 18 month contract.
We don't offer a combined package, but I reckon it's still a pretty good deal. Smiley
We only offer one phone service per account and you would be able to keep track of your international minutes remaining via your customer portal.
charlesn

Thank you, Oldjim and Jameseh
I've signed up today for Home Phone Anytime (£14.65/month) and PlusNet Value Broadband (£5.99/month for 10 Gb usage).
Look forward to using both services!
Charles
PS: Can I make a minor but useful suggestion? On the screen where you log in to this forum it would be handy to provide a reminder that cookies are necessary (personally I have them switched off for most sites). After struggling unsuccessfully yesterday to log back on (to thank you two actually!), I gave up - until I came across another login screen today on the PlusNet site which reminded users that cookies are required.
xpcomputers
Grafter

Charlesn
Have you considered getting a Plusnet Broadband phone VOIP account instead of a second physical phoneline installed? Old Plusnet broadband packages came with a VOIP broadband phone account with free minutes included. The new packages include VOIP but only as PAYG (no line rental, but you just pay Plusnet for your calls). At least there would be no second line rental to pay. You get given a local phone number of your choice (you pick any 01 or 02 dialling code) for free so that people can call you.
You can use the service via a software phone on your computer (which needs yours computer left on), OR better still, you can get some hardware (either a box to plug a normal BT phone into your router OR a special VOIP phone), which means it works 24/7 even when your computer is off.
Either way, it will ring whenever your internet phone number is dialled. You can also ring out in the same way using the standard phone, but you effectively have a completely separate phoneline to use as you wish.
More details can be found here:-
Introduction to Plusnet Broadband phone service
Any questions, visit the Plusnet Broadband phone forum here on community, and ask a question.
Mike