cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hissy Phone Line

caroltay
Dabbler

Hissy Phone Line

Hi, the Internet isn't as good as it should be so checked the phone line. It is plugged into the master socket and ringing 17070 option 2 for the quiet line, there is a hiss on the line. I have done this several times over several hours and always a hiss. Obviously the phone line needs to be quiet to get the most from the fibre broadband. Please could you log a line fault with BT openreach? This is the only socket and I've now put it into the master socket behind and the hiss remains. I work from home and on zoom I am the most blurred person on the screen, not ideal when teaching movement! WiFi is great, speed is reasonable but obviously noise on the line is not good. Thanks!
Tags (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Hissy Phone Line

@caroltay 

Run through the link in this page to the phone troubleshooter then run through that. Hopefully this will automatically raise a fault ticket on your account. https://www.plus.net/help/phone/phone-line-troubleshooting/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

caroltay
Dabbler

Thanks, tried that and it ran for about a minute then just said oops something seems to have gone wrong and to ring the freephone number but I was hoping not to have to call. Does this mean a fault has been found and I don't have to ring? Thanks again for your help
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@caroltay 

Check your tickets here Tickets.

The error message is well known and a ticket may well have been raised.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
caroltay
Dabbler

Unfortunately there isn't a ticket raised so probably will have to call
caroltay
Dabbler

Under closed tickets it says bandwidth usage has been reset so I will see if that makes a difference
agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

Bandwidth usage reset is nothing to do with the problem that you are experiencing.

It is an internal admin  statement that appears each month at the time of your bill production.

caroltay
Dabbler

Thanks. I've managed to send a ticket so hopefully it'll get looked at soon. Thanks everyone for your help.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @caroltay 

I'm sorry for the noise on your phone line. I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing the cause for the issues. Can you respond to the ticket with when you'd be available for an engineer to visit so we can investigate further?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
caroltay
Dabbler

Thank you, I have just replied to the ticket. So you can see it's not quite right at your end, just not the reason? Thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @caroltay 

Sorry for the confusion, I meant to say that line tests aren't showing any issues. When testing a phone line, the test results are generally very concise, either a fault's detected or we get "No fault was found after automated testing"

If you've done all the checks such as plugging your phone into the master socket and trying a different phone, the next step to investigate further would be to arrange an engineer visit. 

I've booked the engineer and I've added a reply to the ticket 208836043 with details of the appointment.

We'll follow things up with you as soon as we can afterwards

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
caroltay
Dabbler

Thanks, received the appointment information. Not too long to wait so pleased with that. Yes tested with our cordless phone and a neighbour's corded phone in the master socket and there's still a hiss on the quiet line test. Thanks again.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @caroltay 

No problem, fingers crossed the engineer can get to the bottom of the issue for you Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
caroltay
Dabbler

Bt Openreach have been working on the telegraph pole today and our dial tone disappeared so they checked and found a fractured wire. This has been replaced and the telephone is clearer now. So I have replied to the ticket asking for the appointment to be cancelled. Thank you all for your help. Hoping it does get cancelled as don't want them having a wasted journey. Thanks!
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

HI @caroltay, I have picked up the ticket for you and have provided an update on there for you. I'm really pleased the issue has now been resolved Smiley please just get back to us should you have any further queries.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team