Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help on external (BT wiring) to property

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Help on external (BT wiring) to property

As my phone is with Plusnet this is a first start.
At some point in the next year I may be having my fascia, soffits etc. replaced with PVC and unfortunately the incoming BT line to the house is overhead from a pole across the road and is supported on a straining wire which is screwed to the wooden fascia which will be replaced with PVC. Hence the straining wire will need to be re-attached directly to the house wall.
What is the procedure for getting this done and is there a standard charge. Note the the telephone comes from a shared pole with the electricity supply to some other properties (not mine).
Of course the other question is whether it is actually legal to have the straining wire attached to the wooden fascia given that, if it rots, the screws could pull out and the wire fall on the neighbours car and garden
34 REPLIES 34
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Help on external (BT wiring) to property

I'd point out (to PlusNet I guess initially) that the line is insecure and needs refixing to masonry or similar.
If there's no good rsponse then maybe the fascia needs a little "encouragement".  Roll_eyes
Mand
Grafter

Strictly speaking this would fall under Time Related Charges, unless it was done as part of a 'fault'.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: HPsauce
If there's no good rsponse then maybe the fascia needs a little "encouragement".  Roll_eyes

Would I be correct in guessing that the paintwork around where the straining wire is fixed is in really bad condition and that there are a few unfilled holes that let the water penetrate the wood?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Unfortunately no - one of the three screws fastening the bracket was a bit loose - but I tightened that up  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend

On a slightly different subject is there a minimum recommended distance from a mains power line to a telephone incoming cable to reduce electromagnetic interference to an acceptable level
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Mand
Strictly speaking this would fall under Time Related Charges, unless it was done as part of a 'fault'.
An alternative would be to get a new line and then cease the old one - I believe that there is a fixed charge for a second line.
Under those conditions - as they would need to cable back to the cabinet I assume that there would be no problem in having a new straining wire
Cliff_Jordan
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
is there a minimum recommended distance from a mains power line to a telephone incoming cable

Not certain what's recommended but my incoming overhead power line and overhead telephone line enter only about 6 inches apart, then seem to intertwine in the roof space before reaching their targets. Does not seem to have any adverse effect on my connection.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Oldjim
An alternative would be to get a new line and then cease the old one - I believe that there is a fixed charge for a second line.

That depends. Often the wire to the house is capable of supporting more than one line so they may be able to give you a second line without running another cable.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Sounds like a little encouragement  Embarrassed might be the answer
goes to have a look  Huh
bugger - someone did too good a job
pierre_pierre
Grafter

BT are a law into them selves, about two years ago the put up a new pole outside my property, they decided that next doors should be a bracket in the bricks, pic 526, but mine which had a PVC facia over the wood just needed yet another bracket to match the terminal box pic 525
I think the person who fitted the facia must have moved the bracket when it was fitted
Mand
Grafter

A new line wouldn't work out cheaper in the end, as presumably you'd want to cease the broadband on the current one and move it over (which would incur costs too).
I'm asking some questions to see what the standard process should be on Openreach's side.
hulls
Grafter

A few years ago a friend of mine wanted a second line to the house (just for internet - so it must have been BB (Before Broadband))  BT wanted to duplex his line (and charge obviously)  He simply kept arguing that he was paying for a second line, so unless they were putting another line in, he wouldn't be paying for it.  The engineer tried to explain about duplexing and so on, but he just kept playing dumb, saying, but I'm paying for a line right?  (yes) so where's the line?  (that one) but I've already paid for that one, I've asked for a second one ....
Eventually BT put a second line in, but it took them so long that by their own customer charter, they had to compensate my friend (he didn't pay line rental on either line for a year).
Sometimes it's good to be dumb  Grin
John
Mand
Grafter

Hi guys,
I've asked the question of Openreach and as I suspected this falls under line plant rearrangement, which would mean time related charges apply.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

which are  Sad