cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Reverse charge call to Australia

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Help! Reverse charge call to Australia

Have been asked by Aussie friends who are currently based with us but touring at the moment how they would go about making a reverse charge call to Quantas in Australia. My first reaction was that they will be able to ring them normally, making use of our free evening and weekend minutes but it seems they might not - got message second hand so don't really know the reason.
Anyway, I have no idea how this works. Tried looking on the main PlusNet site where it said details are in the Home Phone tariff document but I can't see anything there at all. Does anyone know? They're back here on Friday and off again within Britain on Monday, so I have a couple of days to find out!
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
5 REPLIES 5
itsme
Grafter

Re: Help! Reverse charge call to Australia

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hiya,
Well you do get 300 minutes of international calls per month and Australia is in the top 20 international destinations, so there shouldn't be any issues with calling them directly though if Quantas will accept a reverse charge call then go for it.
Oh, just a thought - make sure it's a landline and not the Australian equivalent of an 0845 number as that will be a lot more expensive (and if it isn't reverse charge will not count from your international minutes).
Hope that helps,
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

'Itsme', thanks, that looks helpful seeing as how I've never had to make or receive one. Something in the PN pages made me wonder if there was a setup charge. Our friends don't leave the UK (and our house) till the first week of Sept, so I can reclaim it from them before then if there is one.
Matt, thanks too. I wondered if it might be a special sort of number, so we'll have to see when they're back here. Googling, I saw that Quantas ask for reverse charge calls to contact them about some things, though the numbers given look like regular ones to me. I think the time of day the call needs to be made (ie working hours in Australia) might have been something they were thinking about, though I would have thought 6.00pm-6.00am here would coincide with that nicely!
mal0z
Grafter

Don't Quantas operate the same sort of systems as BA - you call a local number and it transfers you to the call centre around the world appropriate to the time of day. So you call BA at 4am GMT and you speak to someone in Australia ?
And don't BA and Quantas cooperate these days ? - so who knows - BA calls my be answered by Quantas staff in Australia - and Quantas calls answered in UK by BA ?.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

No idea, Mal, I don't use either BA or Quantas myself. I'll find out more no doubt when they get back here!