cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have two landlines, one with broadband, can I swap the telephone number on the broadband one?

FIXED
Not007

Have two landlines, one with broadband, can I swap the telephone number on the broadband one?

Hello,

Have the original 30 year old BT landline at the family home, decided to add a Plusnet landline with broadband to home office 12 years or so ago.

Would it be possible to move the BT number, everyone knows this, onto my Plusnet broadband and do away with that telephone number?

Regards, Ash

6 REPLIES 6
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Have two landlines, one with broadband, can I swap the telephone number on the broadband one?

Fix

I believe it’s not possible to renumber an already active BT line (Plusnet) with another number that’s currently active on the BT network.

If the number was first made by BT (Found out by typing the landline number here 

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Lookup Number then look at the Operator) you could try asking BT to cease the number then pay Plusnet a fee (£36.63) to renumber their line. No guarantees that’d be successful though 

Another option is sign up a new account with Plusnet transferring your BT number/line across then cancel your existing Plusnet account (Might incur cancellation charges if that account’s in contract)

Not007

Re: Have two landlines, one with broadband, can I swap the telephone number on the broadband one?

ok, thank you

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Errm, not sure that is right.

If I understand right, and there is not an issue with getting broadband on the original phone line point, then just start a new request using that line number.

But a friendly PN @Gandalf  wizard may be able to sort a more elegant solution.. 

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

The way I’m reading it is that they’ve got two BT (one Plusnet) lines and wanting to transfer the BT number onto the Plusnet line.

Reading previous posts on this subject (Can’t find them off hand), it doesn’t seem possible because you can’t transfer an active BT number to another active BT line.

You can transfer a BT number/line from one provider to another though, or cease a BT number to go into a pool of available numbers for renumbering.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro

flanzm
Pro
Fixes: 15

Why don't you port the 30 year old number to VoIP.  The POTS network only has a few years life left anyway, and everyone will be moved to VoIP.