Did you mean: 

Have to pay for Caller Display!

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Have to pay for Caller Display!

THIS is my one, 42 for CID & 1 for 1571
Done on 17/10/2012
(A simple search on Caller ID & biker found it.)
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

The problem with simple polls, as used, is that the results are inherently skewed. The results favouring CLiD are inflated by owners of answerphones who have most of the facilities of 1571 (not all) plus the ability to screen (some) calls and add inane announcements.
Even the 2009 poll isn't useful, since anyone voting for 1571 or CLiD is also voting for a subset of "chose your own"  Smiley .
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

I'm sure someone will come up with a better description for it, but isn't the fact that some Telcos do not pass the caller display information on to their customers (unless they pay an additional fee) a form of censorship, maybe even theft?
That data has been transmitted by the caller and/or his Telco and the callee is being deprived of it.  I'm sure they wouldn't get away with blocking, say, 25% of the speech part of a phone call.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well how is it skewed? PN offer 1571 as the default. I asked if they would prefer CID or 1571, I did not offer any other choices as CID was what was being discussed (as I said on the 1st post). If I had offered a long list of items then it would have been skewed. But as was mentioned in the poll THE one person who wanted 1571 was the one without an answer phone, given that you can get one free or for very little money I fail to see what is so great about 1571.
Perhaps YOU could do a poll on it yourself?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

1. Do you think anyone with an answerphone would prefer free 1571 over CLiD?
2. Do you think everyone using 1571 would not prefer free CLiD?
After thinking about that, I suggest it is obviously skewed.
Would I pay for 1571 if CLiD were available free instead? No, people would have to put up with the same situation as my mobile, where voicemail is turned off.
I'm not bother about a poll, only that a statistically invalid poll is used to justify calls for a change.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well since the poll I did was a DIRECT comparison on what was on the forum at the time. People were asking why we couldn't have CID INSTEAD of 1571 so my poll was valid then and still is.
I would say that 90+% of people DON'T use 1571. (This is certainly true of anyone I have talked to, it may have been on when first offered but now, even those WITHOUT an answer machine don't use it, as MOST PEOPLE don't leave a message).  Where as 90+% want CID. So offering something that people don't want/use is a waste of resources.
I have had an answer phone for many many years, over the past year I think it has had ONE message on it, and that was spam!
DJColinCook
Dabbler

I had it free on Sky too. In fact the longer I stay with Plusnet the more I realise how utterly rubbish they are and how their packages are inferior to my previous supplier.
I've just been charged almost £4 for 2 calls to The Netherlands despite paying for the anytime international package. It turns out that the sales rep on the phone failed to tell me that calls can only be up to 30 minutes instead of the 60 minutes mentioned and that the e-mail order confirmation failed also to mention this salient point but PlusNet Customer Services in their usual totally unhelpful way wont credit the calls because apparently I should have disbelieved the sales person, disbelieved the e-mail and then followed every link in the e-mail and read every line of PlusNet's website so that I should already have known this!
In comparison Sky's International package is the same price, includes calls up to 60 minutes (not the 30 mins of PlusNet) and are unlimited as opposed to the 300 minutes of PlusNet.
Oh and not to mention that in the 5 months I've been with PlusNet the total of all International calls I have made is far less than 1 month's allowance so it isn't as though the service is being over-used.
Plusnet Customer Services simply have no interest in Customers.
My response has been to cancel the Anytime International Package. It seems PlusNet would rather lose the £36 per year than refund the £3.88. So be it. The sales rep told me I can upgrade/downgrade the phone service at any time so I'll simply cancel it, save all my international calls then make upgrade for one month - make 300mins worth of calls (in less than 30 minute calls) then downgrade again.
And of course as soon as my contract is up I'm off - PlusNet have consistently provided me with nothing less than an awful service from start to finish.
majnu
Grafter

If we had an option for free Voice Mail OR Caller ID, I'd chose CID all day long as I need the feature enabled for call guard (nuisance call blocker). I don't even use voice mail anyway as I have an answer phone.
Sky and Talk Talk offer this for free and also include free anytime calls to mobile phone numbers. If Plusnet don't stay competitive then after my contract is due for renewal then I'll be switching over.