cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have PlusNet ceased providing a phone line?

calowfamily1

Have PlusNet ceased providing a phone line?

I am confused about the implications of the Digital Voice changeover.

When my contract for unlimited fibre extra plus landline expires in 12 months time will I still be offered a landline? I have fibre to the post outside.

7 REPLIES 7
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 54

Re: Have PlusNet ceased providing a phone line?

@calowfamily1 

Currently you can still renew your contract "as is" by phoning PN when due for renewal.

However, at some point in the future OR will be closing the PSTN (currently end 2025) and that will be the end of landlines except fo a few exemptions. PN may close their phone service prior to this.

If you can post a screen image of the results from the followng Checker (including the narrative but hiding your details) we might be able to provide further information. To include the image click on the icon that's rectangular with a mountain inside it).

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Brian

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 271

@calowfamily1 As things - currently - stand, if you renewed your contract with no changes, you would be able to keep your phoneline over the copper infrastructure, but would need to plan for the eventual ceasing of that service - OpenReachs' intentions are to totally retire the PSTN service by January 2027.

Personally, I would be making plans - now - to investigate possible alternatives.

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 425

@calowfamily1  Welcome to the Plusnet Community Fora.

Do not confuse the move to 'Digital Voice' (VoIP) and the roll out of Full Fibre. There is no connection between the two.

The change to VoIP, that is the transmitting of phone calls over the Internet, rather than via your local telephone exchange will use either the existing cabling to FTTC street cabinets or Full Fibre, using whichever service is connected to your property.

Plusnet are not planning to provide a VoIP service, so at some stage in the next year or so you will be faced with the choice of  moving from Plusnet to an ISP that provides both services, stay with Plusnet and transfer your 'landline' phone number and phone service to a third party supplier or lose the landline number altogether. As has been stated, at the moment you can renew your contract for combined Internet and phone. Plusnet have not advised any end date for making such renewals available.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

calowfamily1

Thank you for that explanation.

bmc
Hero

@calowfamily1 

I was a bit confused by your opening post "I have fibre to the post outside" Given you still have a phone service I believe you are on FTTC which is Fibre to the Cabinet. The cabinet is supplied by fibre optic cable and then uses the existing copper line to your house.

If FTTP comes your way from OpenReach they'll hang a CBT (consumer block terminal) from the pole and run fibre optic cable to your house. The fibre optic cable completely bypasses the cabinet.

As regards your phone service you need to start planning on moving to VOIP if the phone matters (as already stated). You should be able to move at a time of your choice at a cost of a new PN contract. If moving to a provider who does both internet and VOIP it's best to do so at the end of your PN contract to avoid early termination charges. Any move to FTTP will automaticallly cease the phone unless you set up a new account and run two bills for a while.

Consider the following

You have 30 days to "port" your number if staying with PN (best done asap in case of problems).

Do you have any care or house alarms? Uupgrades may be required to work with digital lines.

You may need to buy an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) to continue using your current phone.

As with internet VOIP doesn't work during power cuts without power backup.

What's your mobile signal like?

If you move ISP you'll lose PN email and any other add ons.

Brian

calowfamily1

2024-07-02 14 19 46.jpg

bmc
Hero

@calowfamily1 

Thanks for posting the results. Full Fibre is available to you so you can upgrade to faster speeds any time you want to at the cost of a new contract.

However, it does mean the loss of your PSTN landline. Even if you switch ISP's to one who does both it will be a digital service provided.

All that I said in my previous post still applies but Full Fibre has one advantage over FTTC. The fibre cable runs all the way back to a main Exchange somewhere which will have better power back up than an individual cabinet. You need backup for the ONT that's installed inside your house, the router and potentially your phone equipment.

Brian