cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has my phone number been recycled too quickly?

Chrisbrown2106
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Has my phone number been recycled too quickly?

Hi I have recently returned to Plusnet and on return I have been given a new home phone number.  Unfortunately this phone number seems to have belong to a business and I am receiving a number of calls (roughly one a day) of people looking for this business.  I have googled my home phone number and it shows up as belonging to an auto electrics firm.  Has my number been recycled too quickly and is there anything I can do about it?

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Has my phone number been recycled too quickly?

@Chrisbrown2106 When did you 'lose' your old number?

John
Chrisbrown2106
Grafter

Hi @jab1 my old number was ported away from Plusnet when I left in March.  It caused a problem trying to port it back to Plusnet.  As there are only 3 people who still call on my landline I asked them to simply issue me with a "new" number when I came back.  My old nunber is still with my other suppliers (they switch off on 20 August) but I don't want to try and port my "old" number as it caused problems the last time Plusnet tried.  I'm concerned that somehow the business has lost their phone number!

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

OK Chris - understand. I doubt the business has 'lost' the number otherwise i suspect you would be getting quite a few more calls. If you find out who the previous holders were, maybe you could see if they have an online presence, and check the number displayed there?

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I would not be surprised if the previous user of the number had gone out of business. I understand that numbers only sit in a pool for a couple of weeks after which they are released for re-use.

If no Plusnet staffer comes along I would contact them, explain the problem and ask whether you can be allocated adifferent one free of charge.

You don't get if you don't ask.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Chrisbrown2106
Grafter

Thanks @jab1 and @Baldrick1 I think it is likely that the firm has gone out of business.  I can't find a website for the company but they do still appear if you do a search for the type of business and the name of the town.  They also still have a presence on a number of business listing websites and yell.  I will try and get in touch with Plusnet on Monday if no staffer comes along sooner.  Thanks for your time.